Low torque but high boost?

AVLO

Reaction score
Well after much consideration I have decided to keep my s3 I am now looking to upgrade to stage 2+, but earlier this year I had it on the rolling road at the local Yorkshire and humberside meet and it seems to have low torque at only 220lbft although it boosts to 21 psi could this have been achieved with a custom map with such torque could somebody have wound round the actuator? I just want to make sure it isn't a problem before I go any further?

thanks

Timing pull or low timing advance settings will give low torque regardless of boost... don't get fixated on boost... car needs a health check with logging by the sounds... Bill had an S3 in last week that turned out to be timing pull from crap fuel...

<tuffty/>

Oh right thanks for that, we'll when I originally got my car it had a k&n panel filter, de-cat and a supposedly stage 1 map and up until the dyno day that's all it had along with me running it on vpower for 2 month and that was the result. I didn't realise they could pull torque back with high boost that's why I was concerned someone had wound round actuator and not been mapped?

These were my results at the time

sorry for the second picture I had to use the not so good iPad camera.

so would this indicate a revo stage 1 like I got told it had or something else?

its not holding much boost up top.... healthy ones will hold 18psi up top..
see what 115,118 blocks show for boost and n75 duty cycles

It also taking AGES to get moving?

Not making full boost until 4k and only 0.7bar at 3k?

A stock car would be making over 100hp at 3krpm, yours is making 60?

badger5:1993535 said:
smacks of lazy (tired) turbo, but logs would maybe help clarify whats being asked for vs achieved etc

Well it was meant to have had a new turbo under 30,000mile ago with reciept for nearly £600 I dont no how figures are meant to be but as soon as I get downpipe and fmic fitted I shall be giving you a call bill ;)

aragorn:1993534 said:
It also taking AGES to get moving?

Not making full boost until 4k and only 0.7bar at 3k?

A stock car would be making over 100hp at 3krpm, yours is making 60?

You see I wasnt sure how this was different too a standard form s3 other than the high boost?? Which is the reason I asked peoples opinions?

Well it was meant to have had a new turbo under 30,000mile ago with reciept for nearly £600 I dont no how figures are meant to be but as soon as I get downpipe and fmic fitted I shall be giving you a call bill ;)

do you have access to vcds to log it at all?

I havent got it personally but I can gain access to it as soon as I get chancebi will get some data logs, I cant understand why the psi drops on the graph as I have a boost gauge installed into the underside of the inlet manifold and the pressure stays around 21psi to the red line????

I havent got it personally but I can gain access to it as soon as I get chancebi will get some data logs, I cant understand why the psi drops on the graph as I have a boost gauge installed into the underside of the inlet manifold and the pressure stays around 21psi to the red line????

that sounds weird and contrary to the plot from the dyno...

I cant understand why the psi drops on the graph as I have a boost gauge installed into the underside of the inlet manifold and the pressure stays around 21psi to the red line????

Without meaning to sound rude here at all, are you absolutely sure it holds boost on the road?

I've driven SOOOO many cars where the owner says it holds boost fine, then you drive it, and in reality it doesn't at all, but they're typically so fixed on the road that they've failled to notice boost dropping off on a small guage....

badger5:1993760 said:
that sounds weird and contrary to the plot from the dyno...

Prawn:1993775 said:
I cant understand why the psi drops on the graph as I have a boost gauge installed into the underside of the inlet manifold and the pressure stays around 21psi to the red line????

I will try and get a video tonight im 95%sure that on my gauge when it hits 21psi it holds there........

21psi to redline would be virtually impossible on a stock k04 and actuator btw.......... The healthiest hold 18psi up there..

happy gauge perhaps?

badger5:1993805 said:
happy gauge perhaps?

Its a stack boost gauge plumbed into under inlet manifold! I could be wrong about holding to red line but I will check tonight, this relates back too my first question regarding could the actuator have been played about with on a stock map???

Well guys after a redline in 4th I've realized that the psi does drop the higher up the rpm you go, i probably don't realise because I only usually go to 5,000rpm so I don't notice a big drop in the needle. I will have to get the car logged to show how things are.

thanks for the advice chaps

If you want to have a blast down the A1 ill run some logs for you matt? I was in donny yesterday but didnt see this thread!

Reactions: ShaunS3
If you want to have a blast down the A1 ill run some logs for you matt? I was in donny yesterday but didnt see this thread!

Do you have vag tacho to carry out mileage correction?

Matt- If you do this, I would like to come along too for educational purposes :)

Reactions: AVLO
I have a cheap vag tacho yeah, but dont use it for milage correction. purely skc retrieval and eep reading. Wouldnt risk writing eeproms with it. I have a proper milage correction package for vag cars, but theres nothing to learn... i just plug it in, read current milage, write correct milage, job done!

I have a cheap vag tacho yeah, but dont use it for milage correction. purely skc retrieval and eep reading. Wouldnt risk writing eeproms with it. I have a proper milage correction package for vag cars, but theres nothing to learn... i just plug it in, read current milage, write correct milage, job done!

The learning is more for live data logging via vcds :)

Im only going to tell both of you to google it while i button bash tbh LOL.

i can check n75 duty and get you a nice actual v requested boost graph, but the rest im in the dark so have to rely on asn to work out what you need logging :D

Sorry for late reply I've only just finished work, gota get home yet, me and Shaun will have to organize a time to come through to yours Tom, as for what to read bill has gave me some block numbers I need to log. I will see what else needs logging. I just want to make sure I have a healthy car before I go for a stage 2 map :whistle2:

Reactions: ShaunS3