Worn wiper spring?

Lavis89

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just put some new wipers on ready for the winter, thought my old one was shot because there was a big patch where the wiper arm attaches to the wiper itself that wasn't getting wiped, unfortunately i have the same problem with the new blades. Windscreen is nice and clean, gave it a good rub down with concentrated screen wash before i put the new blades on.

My next guess would be that the spring is a bit old on the arm itself so not pressing down hard enough, anyone had this problem before? if so how easy (and expensive) is it to fix?

WD40 didn't help unfortunately, and the car is currently undriveable in the rain due to the fact i can't see anything! got a couple of photos here to show the gap. I got the blades from GSF, not sure if it's the blades themselfs causing the problem though, i had the same problem with my old blades, thought they were just a bit worn but now i guess that wasn't the problem. Is it possible to buy new wiper arms (spring and all)?

1390523_10151974387075792_841100279_n.jpg

1381777_10151974387080792_596349223_n.jpg

anyone got a link to some that are proven for an A3? i had a set from halfords which had a gap (only on the drivers side though, these new ones have a gap on both) and now this set from GSF. Getting to be a bit of a pain.

Should just get genuine aero wipers instead of these makeshift ones, no issues at all. I also have a set of genuine ones on my Passat using Halfords aero replacement blades with no issues.

Try standard wipers instead of those makeshift wannabe aeros. I'm sure your arms are fine....

Keep your receipt and then take them back. At least you will know if your arms are at fault or not.

I have the Bosch Aero upgrade on mine and they wipe fine.

If you apply a little bit of pressure to the clip at the end of the arm, can you press the wipers against the screen?

If you can it could be the springs are shot. After 10 years the metal might has lost its elasticity. New arms unless you can source some from a breaker or find replacement springs.

Liam

yea when i press down on them they do sit on the screen quite a bit better. Going to try a set of genuine bosch ones tomorrow, if they're no better than going to have to look for some new arms :(