Audi s3 recommended oil ? :/

Keane

Reaction score
Hello all recently brought an s3 after having a black edition tdi for a few months. I'm just wondering what oil to use? I've searched the site and most say 0w-40! However I spoke to my local Audi dealer and they say they use shell helix ultra 5w-30 vw 504.00 / 507.00 on all Audi's? Just wondering what people use :) cheers keane

Done some research on this. Your Audi dealer has given you the correct info!

5w30 is used for AVS... 5w40 is used for fixed interval... don't use or stay on AVS... it will kill your engine... the age of the cars, various levels of modification, 5w40 fully synth is a perfect choice... I use Quantum Platinum 5w40 (sold by TPS and Audi) as does plenty of others...

<tuffty/>

Exactly as Tuffty says, no point in paying rip-off prices for AVS oil when perfectly adequate oil and filter can be bought for 1/4 the price. e.g. Euro car parts doing 5 litres of fully synthetic Triple QX 5W40 with a bosch oil filter for about £15!
TRIPLE QX 5w40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 5Ltr
This meets the non-AVS specification for oil for an S3.
You could drop the oil 3 or 4 times for the price audi will charge you for 5 litres.

...and its worth doing this every 6000-9000 miles or 12 months... whatever comes first...

<tuffty/>

I have a friend of nearly 30 years who is now a senior manager at one of the world's leading oil additive manufacturers. When the ECP deal came up I asked him if they really could sell fully synthetic oil at this price and was I asking for problems in using it.

His reply is that base fully synthetic, including bottling and basic additives, works out around £2 a litre. So ECP are basically selling this at cost to them once VAT is taken into account.

In terms of the VAG standards, again, this is only vital if you are using ridiculous AVS or the advanced diesel engines. For a 12 year old car, doing 5k / 6 month oil changes is the way to go.