Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

downpipe problems, s3

Okay so really struggling to get the standard downpipe off, working on my drive way I have the whole pipe unbolted cats are off and its also off turbo too

But Im struggling to cut it as I dont have the correct torx bit to take the drive shaft off out of the way, i probably dont have suitable cutting tool either, can anyone help?

Or if your local to kettering, northants you fancy giving me a hand?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Cut through the flexi if not planning to reuse... I have air chiselled through these in the past to remove the DP... normally have to drop the subframe, remove driveshaft to to remove through wheel arch

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    If you drop the subframe down as far as you can on the bolts and unbolt the prop shaft at the engine end ( 5 x 13mm bolts iirc ) then you should be able to get it out in one piece. I ended up using a big **** off hammer, chisel and crowbar to split mine in half at the flexi......
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LFleck View Post
    Okay so really struggling to get the standard downpipe off, working on my drive way I have the whole pipe unbolted cats are off and its also off turbo too

But Im struggling to cut it as I dont have the correct torx bit to take the drive shaft off out of the way, i probably dont have suitable cutting tool either, can anyone help?

Or if your local to kettering, northants you fancy giving me a hand?
    Cut the bracket where it bolts too the cats and pull out from up top or drop the subframe slightly is the normal way!
    Audi s3 8l 2003 silver,brembo brakes,custom front mount intercooler,forged rods,acl race bearings,3inch tip,forge 007p green spring 1 shim,5mm hubcentric spacers,pipewerx 3inch down pipe/200cell race cat,2.75 miltek back non resonated,new piston rings,n249delete,pcv venting too atmosphere,neuspeed quick shifter,uprated clutch/pressure plate...large port agu head,inline fuel pump

work left/relentless v3 manifold/wmi/blue haldex/antilag/launch controll/custom map!!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Cut through the flexi if not planning to reuse... I have air chiselled through these in the past to remove the DP... normally have to drop the subframe, remove driveshaft to to remove through wheel arch

<tuffty/>
    Hey dude I tried cutting the flexi but iv only got a hack saw, how long did it take with an air chisel? My mates got one I may be able to borrow if I cut it I dont need to remove the drive shaft or drop the sub frame do I? New one should slipe straight in?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LFleck View Post
    Hey dude I tried cutting the flexi but iv only got a hack saw, how long did it take with an air chisel? My mates got one I may be able to borrow if I cut it I dont need to remove the drive shaft or drop the sub frame do I? New one should slipe straight in?
    Been a while since I did one but from memory I didn't drop the subframe... you only need to undo the shaft from the gearbox IIRC to be able to move it out the way... I also undid the dogbone mount and propshaft to get some extra wiggle room...

As Darren said you may have to cut the bracket from the DP where it suspends from the subframe... but unbolt the other bracket fromthe subframe first as this will give you some room too...

Its a fiddly/tight/crap job but be patient and it will come... cutting the DP at the flexi should allow you to take the top half out the wheel arch and the bottom half should either follow or should wriggle out the tunnel

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Reverse Gear

Status
    i have pulled the downpipe down and as far back as i can get it and this is what it looks like... so i can cut this where it is then remove it from the top?
    20131013_172953.jpg
    to lower the subframe rather than cutting the pipe is it just these 2 bolts pictured below?
    20131013_174131.jpg

kinda tempted to lower the subframe and see if i can get it to slide out that way

Reverse Gear

Status
    Looks like i wont be at work tomorrow so hopefully weather stops so I can either get it done or put it back together....

Take it with sub frame I need to unbolt the steering rack...support that and lower the subframe from the 2 large bolts at the rear?
    Last edited by LFleck; 13th October 2013 at 18:38.

2nd Gear

Status
    Lower the subframe slightly undo steering rack bolts but leave in situ!! Lower subframe as far as poss on the bolts!!
    Audi s3 8l 2003 silver,brembo brakes,custom front mount intercooler,forged rods,acl race bearings,3inch tip,forge 007p green spring 1 shim,5mm hubcentric spacers,pipewerx 3inch down pipe/200cell race cat,2.75 miltek back non resonated,new piston rings,n249delete,pcv venting too atmosphere,neuspeed quick shifter,uprated clutch/pressure plate...large port agu head,inline fuel pump

work left/relentless v3 manifold/wmi/blue haldex/antilag/launch controll/custom map!!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by darren t View Post
    Lower the subframe slightly undo steering rack bolts but leave in situ!! Lower subframe as far as poss on the bolts!!
    Im not doing it now...im taking it bahnstorm in northampton, hes going to do it for me, hes going to cut the box out of my millteck system too

2nd Gear

Status
    Sounds nice with the box removed lol

Reverse Gear

Status
    I hope so, watched one video on youtube that says decat and millteck box which does sound really nice... cant wait to get it done now :P after all the stress this weekend of trying to do it and failing lol

2nd Gear

Status
    Sound awesome on mine

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ill get a HD video once mines done and post it up :D