downpipe problems, s3

LFleck

Reaction score
Okay so really struggling to get the standard downpipe off, working on my drive way I have the whole pipe unbolted cats are off and its also off turbo too

But Im struggling to cut it as I dont have the correct torx bit to take the drive shaft off out of the way, i probably dont have suitable cutting tool either, can anyone help?

Or if your local to kettering, northants you fancy giving me a hand?

Cut through the flexi if not planning to reuse... I have air chiselled through these in the past to remove the DP... normally have to drop the subframe, remove driveshaft to to remove through wheel arch

<tuffty/>

If you drop the subframe down as far as you can on the bolts and unbolt the prop shaft at the engine end ( 5 x 13mm bolts iirc ) then you should be able to get it out in one piece. I ended up using a big **** off hammer, chisel and crowbar to split mine in half at the flexi......

Okay so really struggling to get the standard downpipe off, working on my drive way I have the whole pipe unbolted cats are off and its also off turbo too

But Im struggling to cut it as I dont have the correct torx bit to take the drive shaft off out of the way, i probably dont have suitable cutting tool either, can anyone help?

Or if your local to kettering, northants you fancy giving me a hand?
Cut the bracket where it bolts too the cats and pull out from up top or drop the subframe slightly is the normal way!

Cut through the flexi if not planning to reuse... I have air chiselled through these in the past to remove the DP... normally have to drop the subframe, remove driveshaft to to remove through wheel arch

<tuffty/>

Hey dude I tried cutting the flexi but iv only got a hack saw, how long did it take with an air chisel? My mates got one I may be able to borrow :) if I cut it I dont need to remove the drive shaft or drop the sub frame do I? New one should slipe straight in?

Hey dude I tried cutting the flexi but iv only got a hack saw, how long did it take with an air chisel? My mates got one I may be able to borrow :) if I cut it I dont need to remove the drive shaft or drop the sub frame do I? New one should slipe straight in?

Been a while since I did one but from memory I didn't drop the subframe... you only need to undo the shaft from the gearbox IIRC to be able to move it out the way... I also undid the dogbone mount and propshaft to get some extra wiggle room...

As Darren said you may have to cut the bracket from the DP where it suspends from the subframe... but unbolt the other bracket fromthe subframe first as this will give you some room too...

Its a fiddly/tight/crap job but be patient and it will come... cutting the DP at the flexi should allow you to take the top half out the wheel arch and the bottom half should either follow or should wriggle out the tunnel

<tuffty/>

i have pulled the downpipe down and as far back as i can get it and this is what it looks like... so i can cut this where it is then remove it from the top?
20131013 172953
to lower the subframe rather than cutting the pipe is it just these 2 bolts pictured below?
20131013 174131

kinda tempted to lower the subframe and see if i can get it to slide out that way :)

Looks like i wont be at work tomorrow so hopefully weather stops so I can either get it done or put it back together....

Take it with sub frame I need to unbolt the steering rack...support that and lower the subframe from the 2 large bolts at the rear?

Last edited:
Lower the subframe slightly undo steering rack bolts but leave in situ!! Lower subframe as far as poss on the bolts!!

Lower the subframe slightly undo steering rack bolts but leave in situ!! Lower subframe as far as poss on the bolts!!

Im not doing it now...im taking it bahnstorm in northampton, hes going to do it for me, hes going to cut the box out of my millteck system too :)

I hope so, watched one video on youtube that says decat and millteck box which does sound really nice... cant wait to get it done now :p after all the stress this weekend of trying to do it and failing lol

Ill get a HD video once mines done and post it up :D