Throttle body and maf clean

puggsy21

Reaction score
hello sorry everyone for all my posts but been having some nightmares with the car so thinking of cleaning the throttle body and maf but dont have any carb cleaner do you think i could use some electrical cleaner called isopropanol its 99.9% isopropyl alcohol.

If not what would you recommend as i only have a little car shop and halfords near me thanks

If it is kontact cleaner / Electrical cleaner ... it should be fine ... just don't use the sharp nozzle that they normally come with ... rather opt for the wide and softer spray ...

What are the problems with the car? I tried the same cleaner stuff on my MAF but TBH it was just easier to replace it. Unplug the MAF and if your problems disappear then just replace the MAF, but we need to know more about the symptoms you're having first.

jumping rev counter ever so slightly, flat spot and just want to clean them as if you see the state of the car and under the engine bay when i got it you would do the same :) got to replace my crank sensor as well as thats causing me the biggest problem the only fault code to keep coming back (P0322) but cant get one till one evening during the weekday as il be working as of monday and no where open tomorrow grrrrr

yeh thats my thought to once cleaned and sensor changed il see if its any better if not then a new maf could be next on the list i got a few breather hoses i need to get but think il have to go dealers as not sure which ones to look for or cant replace with silicone hose as dont know the size/diameter :)

Iv used brake calliper cleaner many times to clean maf sensor, because its designed for brake componants it contains no oils or silicones, leaves no residue, removes all crud and dust and disperses on its own,

rustynlc il see about getting some if my electrical/contact cleaner dont work but it does the same purpose as what you mentioned

it contains no oils or silicones, leaves no residue, removes all crud and dust and disperses on its own,

Yeah that's it bud both do exactly the same, at least you have another option if you can't source any contact cleaner, hopefully you sort your problem out :)

yeh mate best thing is i have 5 ltr of this contact cleaner as i fix/build computers, repair iphones, ipods, ipads, game consoles and much more so got it to use on them so comes in handy for other tasks :)

Happy days :) can't get contact cleaner round near me easily, so I have to settle for calliper cleaner lol

just a quick one mate your handbrake cables how are they supported under the car i have a hanger each side of the car but they look like bits of an old coat hanger and i cant seem to find anything showing what the OEM ones look like

if anyone else has pics please share i have the a3 1.8 turbo AUM 2001

Iv not really took much notice on mine mate, I can take and upload a pic first thing in the morning, ill see if I can find anything in the meantime

rustynlc if you wouldnt mind mate that would be awesome and much appreciated

rupe thanks for the link dude just having a read now

ok so last night i went out to the car and took off the maf to give it a clean so i could leave it to dry out till the morning, so woke up this morning to find it was p***ing down :( was tempted to buy a gazebo ha ha. Well got dressed and went outside decided what the hell rather get a little wet and have her running bit better, so got to work and put maf and airbox top back on (cone filter on route) and while i was there i whipped off the throttle body and took out the IAT sensor to give them a clean WOW it was horrible inside went through a good 20 cotton swabs and the were thick with black c**p. So after cleaning it all put everything back on and turned the key ignition to the on position (dont start the car up) and waited for the high pitch noise to stop after TB aligned itself then turned it over started and runs a lot better than before.

Sorry couldnt take any pics was outside working in the rain il whip it off when its dry and take some pics see how bad it is from now

another job to tick off the list then! this thread inspired me and I pulled my finger out and gave my maf a bath earlier today too :thumbsup:
Can't say I've noticed any difference after just having been for a thrash about, but was good to see it was a genuine bosch one when I removed it.

When I did my t/b a while back it was actually pretty clean inside but their was alot of built up tarnished stuff around where the butterfly sits and after cleaning that up with lots of cotton buds like you, it fixed the hesitation I was having.I also had to wake my dad up after him falling alsleep in the car having had his foot on the pedal for half hour or so keeping the t/b open ;)

lol should of stuck the horn on to wake him up lol, next time you do TB dont worry about keeping it open take it right off as you can have it re align itself i got to poddle around at the mo as got a fault with crank sensor so when i put foot down goes in limp mode and shows ecs light just waiting for new one to arrive

It's dbw so had to leave it connected as you can't open the butterfly otherwise and I needed to clean where it rests, I reset it with vcds afterwards to save having to wait for it to adjust itself in x amount of miles.

can anyone help with a part im looking for i do alot of my parts online but use dealers and good name companys for certain parts, so im trying to get this pipe so i can replace it but not sure which one to look for (number 4 in the pic below)
T2eC16NHJHFFmWS7u2sBR0pw7Pv5g60 12

its just to the right of the throttle body under the intake mani you will see a pipe run down not far and connect onto a t piece for the crankcase breather, i have replaced numbers 1, 2 and 5 in the picture (will be doing number 8 in a min) but have seen number 4 and there is another pipe next to that not shown in picture i need to replace

anybody know what they are or diameter size so i can change it for silicone hose, i will take a pic soon and show you what pipes i mean