Chris NottVolks Autos
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By beachbuggy
  • 1 Post By miniturhero

Thread: opinions on ecu flashing please :D

Neutral

Status

opinions on ecu flashing please :D

Hi everyone I was after some views and opinions on ecu flashing. I am not too sure exactly what it os and how its done but ive had a quick browse on youtube to see if theres anything on there and by what ive seen is it like a diy remap ? I am a bit skeptical on how you can just modify you ecu and be safe doing so if your not an expert but I could be wronge flashing may be something completely different. I would like a bit of knowledge on this if anyone has any on this subject or if anyone has tried this and results or if its something to stear well clear of . Cheers dudes

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Modern day remaps is basically ECU flashing, loads of us have done it, it rarely goes wrong!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by miniturhero View Post
    Hi everyone I was after some views and opinions on ecu flashing. I am not too sure exactly what it os and how its done but ive had a quick browse on youtube to see if theres anything on there and by what ive seen is it like a diy remap ? I am a bit skeptical on how you can just modify you ecu and be safe doing so if your not an expert but I could be wronge flashing may be something completely different. I would like a bit of knowledge on this if anyone has any on this subject or if anyone has tried this and results or if its something to stear well clear of . Cheers dudes

You're better off looking at a dedicated forum like nefmoto or chip tuners to learn how to do it.. Just saying
    s3dave likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    ^^as long as you get someone to do it who knows what they are doing. ...
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

6th Gear

Status
    If you dont have a clue what your doing, dont do it. It can be as simple or as involved as you choose to make it
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

1st Gear

Status
    in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of huddersfield!!

My Social Networking

Add craigynett on Google+
    i've seen people use cheap 20euro maps downloaded from the internet, flashed onto the ECU & then has been left with a car that wouldn't run properly.

I've even seen a Leon 1.8 20v non turbo with a cupra map on it
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

Neutral

Status
    Cheers for the replys , everyone has said what I thought which is its basically the same as a remap and stay well away from it leave it to people who know what there doing. I would like to learn how to do it or have a little more knowledge of it so I might try that forum that beachbuggy suggested.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigynett View Post
    i've seen people use cheap 20euro maps downloaded from the internet, flashed onto the ECU & then has been left with a car that wouldn't run properly.

I've even seen a Leon 1.8 20v non turbo with a cupra map on it
    How in the hell would that work ? Surely that car was playing up somthing terrible! I am amazed that someone would do that as even my girlfriend would probably know that aint right haha

1st Gear

Status
    more knowledge of it so I might try that forum that beachbuggy suggested.
    hope you like reading lol still taking it in after a year , and I thought I knew about ECU's in cars .

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

How in the hell would that work ? Surely that car was playing up somthing terrible! I am amazed that someone would do that as even my girlfriend would probably know that aint right haha
    the lad had only bought the car a couple of weeks beforehand. He said he'd bought it like that. It didn't run too well at all & was seriously running on the rich side. It felt well under powered when i drove it so once it had been done with the correct remap file it felt like a completely different car.

I'm still not convinced he had bought it like that because it ran like **** & nobody in their right mind would buy it for full price with how it was. You'd only buy it if it was cheap & advertised as running poorly etc
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

Neutral

Status
    the lad had only bought the car a couple of weeks beforehand. He said he'd bought it like that. It didn't run too well at all & was seriously running on the rich side. It felt well under powered when i drove it so once it had been done with the correct remap file it felt like a completely different car.

I'm still not convinced he had bought it like that because it ran like **** & nobody in their right mind would buy it for full price with how it was. You'd only buy it if it was cheap & advertised as running poorly etc
    I agree he must of just been very ashamed as I would of been if it were me but bet he was just glad to get his car back.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmcgee View Post
    hope you like reading lol still taking it in after a year , and I thought I knew about ECU's in cars .
    Lol im not too keen on reading but if its somthing that im really interested in I am more than happy to read on lol any tips on what to reed ? How you finding it do you feel that you are abke to flash an ecu yet or not ?

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

he did seem a bit embarrassed. When i'd done i made a joke of saying it may have been the correct map in the 1st place & it was that his turbo had been stolen!

Neutral

Status
    he did seem a bit embarrassed. When i'd done i made a joke of saying it may have been the correct map in the 1st place & it was that his turbo had been stolen!
    Hahaha thats excellent! ! I would have had to laugh if I was there !

1st Gear

Status
    Lol im not too keen on reading but if its somthing that im really interested in I am more than happy to read on lol any tips on what to reed ? How you finding it do you feel that you are abke to flash an ecu yet or not ?
    still looking for a spare ecu to muck about with , just not bit the bullet and bought one lol , and no chance am I using my own one lol ,

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Nothing wrong with experimenting, thats how they all start, as long as you are prepared for any consequences...imo of course

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmcgee View Post
    still looking for a spare ecu to muck about with , just not bit the bullet and bought one lol , and no chance am I using my own one lol ,
    Haha thats what I was thinking , learn and read as mich as possible then buy a spare ecu and fingers crossed lol

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Nothing wrong with experimenting, thats how they all start, as long as you are prepared for any consequences...imo of course
    Cheers mate your right I suppose if you dont try you dont know well im going to get revising and see what I can learn
    s3dave likes this.