Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Follow QuestMS On Twitter

Boost issue after fitting relentless v3, 3" down pipe & new turbo

Hi all, I am in need of some advice please. I have recently fitted a new turbo & v3 manifold to my S3 225 and also made a 3" down pipe/decat at the same time. The problem I am having is I am under boosting up until around 4K revs and over boosting past this point. The turbo is a bit of a mismatch as I bought a turbo core from NKK turbos which has a 360 degree thrust bearing and step oil seal, and the hot/cold side was robbed from an Ebay turbo i had to buy because i had a huge crack across my wastegate and most of the hot side. I noticed the wastegate port was slightly smaller on the new hot side. There was other small defects with the new hot side such as a small spacer needed making to get the EGT sensor to tighten and seal. All flanges on the manifold and turbo are sealed 100%. MAF is good with a nice steady increase peaking at 226 g/s. N249 has been deleted. DV is a Forge 007p in good working order. I have smoke tested the entire vehicle exhaust and intake side showing no leaks, i have also visually inspected all the suspect pipe work. I have no faith in the Ebay turbo parts used after fitting them and im on the brink of buying a another K04 023 from a reputable turbo company this time, but would like a second opinion first.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Jay

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Ive never heard of nkk turbos.
    Is it a genuine borgwarner core? Genuine wheels?
    If not you can expect the characteristics of the new setup to change.

Also your car wont be mapped for this yet, it will behave a little differently.

Lastly, the smaller wastegate aperture you should have opened to oem size. It will result in boost creep when being pushed.
    I personally dont see how chinese housings are bad or worse than oem, yes they may be less pretty, but they do a simple job and as long as the car is mapped safely they should be ok, they are all made in the same place using the same methods. The chra is the important bit.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Audi K04-020/022/023 Core Housing Rotor Assembly CHRA
    will fit the following model
    TT Quattro 99 - 06 1.8 225hp eng code APX / BAM
    These core assemblies are built by ourselves here in the UK with brand new parts of the finest quality which are precisely balanced for smooth quiet running and longer life
    Our K04 CHRA's now all have 360 thrust bearings and the step gap piston ring / oil seal on the hot end (which give a far superior seal) fitted as standard
    All our CHRA's come with a full twelve months parts only warranty

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

That is as much as i can give you without calling the guy tomorrow and asking for the full spec, thanks for the reply

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Also when i say it is under boosting i have logged actual vs required boost and there is a difference of 0.4/0.6 bar below 4K

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    I personally dont see how chinese housings are bad or worse than oem, yes they may be less pretty, but they do a simple job and as long as the car is mapped safely they should be ok, they are all made in the same place using the same methods. The chra is the important bit.
    thing is they're not the same - simple as
    and they vary between different chinese manufacturers who seem to copy each other as well as genuine BW.
    BW castings are a harder material, and wastegate apatures are not undersize.. and wastegate penny sleeves dont fall in, and the wastegate arms are the correct lever length... Unlike a lot of CN copies. they also dont have the stainless inserts for manifold fitment.

biggest issues I have seen/suffered from the CN hotsides is wastegate sleeve coming loose and jamming the wg, and undersized wastegate arms. Wrong lever ratio.

They are NOT the same or as good as BW genuine ones, but you cant buy spares for the BW only all new units, so many many remanufacturers of these use the CN ones.. and their quality varies a lot.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestMS View Post
    Also when i say it is under boosting i have logged actual vs required boost and there is a difference of 0.4/0.6 bar below 4K
    I have a genuine kkk hotside which is none egt no cracks if needed pm me
    Audi s3 8l 2003 silver,brembo brakes,custom front mount intercooler,forged rods,acl race bearings,3inch tip,forge 007p green spring 1 shim,5mm hubcentric spacers,pipewerx 3inch down pipe/200cell race cat,2.75 miltek back non resonated,new piston rings,n249delete,pcv venting too atmosphere,neuspeed quick shifter,uprated clutch/pressure plate...large port agu head,inline fuel pump

work left/relentless v3 manifold/wmi/blue haldex/antilag/launch controll/custom map!!!!!

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    thing is they're not the same - simple as
    and they vary between different chinese manufacturers who seem to copy each other as well as genuine BW.
    BW castings are a harder material, and wastegate apatures are not undersize.. and wastegate penny sleeves dont fall in, and the wastegate arms are the correct lever length... Unlike a lot of CN copies. they also dont have the stainless inserts for manifold fitment.

biggest issues I have seen/suffered from the CN hotsides is wastegate sleeve coming loose and jamming the wg, and undersized wastegate arms. Wrong lever ratio.

They are NOT the same or as good as BW genuine ones, but you cant buy spares for the BW only all new units, so many many remanufacturers of these use the CN ones.. and their quality varies a lot.
    Thanks for the reply, I was up against a wall really I either had to buy this Chinese turbo and use the parts or buy a genuine turbo, wish I had chose the latter. I think I will just be returning the Chinese turbo and getting a refund, swallowing the cost of the chra and buying a genuine turbo. Lesson learnt the hard way as always .....

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by darren t View Post
    I have a genuine kkk hotside which is none egt no cracks if needed pm me
    Thanks for the offer buddy but I will be buying a another turbo

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Where's your old turbo?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Sat on the bench in front of me, why's that buddy?

3rd Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=badger5;

They are NOT the same or as good as BW genuine ones, but you cant buy spares for the BW only all new units, so many many remanufacturers of these use the CN ones.. and their quality varies a lot.[/QUOTE]

Not true I ordered a new turbine housing from BW for my Hybrid build.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    I am surprised as both CR and TD have said this to me previously.
    good to know they can supply genuine tho
    cool

ordered from whome?

bill@badger5.co.uk

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid for a BW hot side?

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah I had also contacted CR & TD myself and got the same story. I ended up contacting BW who in turn put me i contact with their Irish wholesaler as they would not sell directly to me, a company called Assured Performance International.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

3rd Gear

Status
    Not cheap 340 euro. But a whole new unit was going to cost just under 700 euro and that was the cheapest I could find anywhere in europe from a company in Italy called Diesel Levante.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Not cheap 340 euro. But a whole new unit was going to cost just under 700 euro and that was the cheapest I could find anywhere in europe from a company in Italy called Diesel Levante.
    Ouch! That is spiteful ....

Tbh I'm still unsure as to wether the core replacement I bought is any good or not so I'm in two minds, either take a chance with a genuine BW hot side bolted to it or just buy a complete turbo .... After the aggro I have had so far I don't think it's worth taking a chance

RIP S3dave

Status
    Yeah I had also contacted CR & TD myself and got the same story. I ended up contacting BW who in turn put me i contact with their Irish wholesaler as they would not sell directly to me, a company called Assured Performance International.
    cool.. thanks for the info.
    pricey like you say.. but its the real thing

bill@badger5.co.uk