Grating Wheels

jpeterman

Reaction score
I have a 2001 51 S3.
This morning, backing out of my drive, I went over a small 3-inch kerb lip with a bit of bump, then as soon as I went to move forward there was a very loud grating kind of sound, as if something was actually scarping along the ground.
I think I've narrowed it down as coming from the front wheels, doesn't matter if the brakes are applied, happens when the engine is off and freewheeling as well.
There is nothing obvious wrong, nothing hanging off under the car, the brake discs are clean and unmarked so it doesn't look like stone chip grating against them, and for the few yards I've driven it it doesn't feel any different.
I'm guessing it's a very vague, general problem, but was wondering if the symptoms rang a bell with anyone. Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Sounds like one of the disc dirt shield thingies from the inside of one of the brake discs is scraping on the disc.

These are easily distorted..could be that.

If it is, it's easy to bend it back into shape and away from the disc.

I have also come accross the ABS sensor scrapes on the ABS ring on the hub...mine squeeks like mad...but only in reverse! So it could be that...but it's less likely unless the ABS ring has been bent.

Could be a stone stuck between the shield & disc. Had the same thing on my Nissan, was just a stone though.