Winter Brake Overhaul..... Advice needed?

mark_S3

Team Silver
Reaction score
Right people....

Along with the list of other things that I plan over winter, one of these is to overhaul the braking system. I've got a 2000 S3 with Standard brake calipers along with Mintex pads and performance drilled and grooved discs (not sure on make) all round.
Brakes have never been the best and the long periods of being stood and not being driven on long distances have sort of taken its toll on the discs.
Discs are solid and seem to have some life left in them but do have some surface rust currently building up on them on the inside face.
My plan over winter was to strip all 4 calipers, refurb them myself or send away. New hoses. New pads. Clean up the discs. Put back together. Then New fluid completely.
My budget is around £300....
What's the best plan of attack or action? I know there is companies out there that do refurb Calipers but they are like £200 just for fronts.
I would also need four clamps to clamp off the hoses whilst calipers are off.
TBH I could do with some help with bleeding the system and Vagcom if needed.
I know what needs doing, just not what's the best way to attack it. I'll love to spend more and get some Brembo's but with the possibility of spending upto £1500 over winter, I can only just use around £300 out of the budget.

Any help?
Thank you

hi have a look here VW Parts - Audi Parts - AVS Car Parts, good for parts and you could almost replace all calipers an pads for 300.
and buy an eezyblead, i beleive you only need vagcom if you let the system get dry. just do one at a time

mark

The plan was to strip all 4 calipers off the car, new piston sealing rings, dust covers, new bleeding nipples, clean up and respray them. Fit them back to car with new standard hoses. Then clean up the discs on have on now then fit some new uprated pads.
I've service brakes before and have stripped them down.
But apart from that never have stripped them fully and refurbed, fitted hoses, or bleeded the system.
I'm trying to find out whats the easiest and best option to go within my budget.....

LCR brembo's? You can get them for like £300!

Gops:1984186 said:
LCR brembo's? You can get them for like £300!

All the brembo's I've seen are £400+ with discs.... Then I've still got the costs of New hoses, New pads, refurb the rears then New fluid.
If I can get a set of brembo's for the fronts with discs, mounts and pads for around £300 I may increase my budget a little to cover the costs for the other items.
Don't suppose you know anyone who is selling some LCR brembo's?

Looking at buying ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid.....

What would be a safe amount (litres) to buy to fully bleed the system and clear the old stuff for all four corners?

I know it may vary from car to car, but a rough amount so I can purchase probably 0.5litre or a 1litre more.

Cheers

Also regarding the flexi hoses. Whats the best option on those. OEM Standards or Braided Hoses?

Probably buy 2litres. You`ll have plenty left over.

I just completely flushed the system on my rs4 inc clutch. It used exactly 1L and that's with 8 pot fronts and 4 pot rears. You can definitely get away with 1L on an S3 but may be worth buying 2 to have spare to top up with at a later date.

Cheers Jason and Benjamin.....

Seen some good deals on ATE for 2litres around £20 so I'll go ahead with that.

Also.... Has anyone got a good guide on replacing the Flexi Hoses.

Did a search on here but no luck.