1.8t Holding Back Please Read

A3-Lee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
When driving my car and giving it some when i change from 2nd to 3rd at high rpm and accelerate again the car holds back almost like bogging down, if i release the pedal an plant it again it usually clears ,if i keep my foot down it results in sometimes popping from the engine bay.

The cars a 1999 A3 1.8t Agu

My thought was my fuel pump may need changing its done 148,000 any input greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Lee

Last edited:
Hi, if your getting air bursts I'd check the boost pipes, if they are leaking or split that could possibly result in hesitation and air leaks, check for splits cracks along the pipes and also were the jubilee clips sit, I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to give you some more advice, does it hesitate when just booting it hard or in all manners of driving?

Only when booting it hard when I change from second to 3rd around 6000rpm it splutters an like holds back then let off plant it again and it usually goes all boost pipes are fine no leaks

Scan for fault codes if you can. Holding back at high revs could be a fueling issue . I've had this before when having problems with EGT's running high causing the ecu to dump fuel.

Will scan it when I get to work tomorrow but all advice is greatly appreciated

Let me know if you fancy a logging session Lee, or just try and drive her staying below 3k revs! Pop pop bang bang! :laugh:

Reactions: vivalacoulter
Right noticed on my way to work today when this happens my boost gauge goes up to around 18 psi rather than the usual 10 psi any ideas anyone

Hi did you find out what it was I have a 1999 s3 and it does the same had it into 1 garage and he says it sounds like the turbo is knackered. But to me I think it's not that major because when the car goes the turbo works ok. And mine is also over boosting????

im having similar trouble i have a a3 1999 agu when i accelerate hard normally 3rd gear and get to around 4 to 5thousand revs mine boggs down like a misfire only for a split second and sorts itself out, its quite annoying, i have a mate with agu engine so i have tryed coil pack, airflow meter, ignition module, iv changed plugs, air filter, and battery checks for leaks and splits and seems fine, next step fuel filter and try n75 hopefully one of these, iv hurd injectors can cause these symtoms if i sort it i will post back

Its the N75 valve mate, I had the same thing on mine a few months ago, exactly the same where you had the power, if you lift off and plant it again the power came back.

Changed the N75 and we were back in business :)

N75 is just next to ya MAF with a pipe leading from the intake and 2 more pipes going to it. Yes going to replace when I have the chance.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383032867723946

Not sure we have a andrew page and a euro car parts round here think they stock them or on eBay

i had this problem, it felt quicker at 2/3rds throttle from full throttle to 2/3rds felt like a boost!. but my clutch started slipping before i could investigate further.

I think it must be that you have your seat to far back and when you accelerate in third you are being thrown backwards, meaning you cant plant your foot all the way :racer:

Reactions: A3-Lee
still awaiting on a new fuel filter to come i should of went out and bought one hopefully should come today i ordered a bleed valve also to bypass the n75 ill post back to tell u how its gone

finally found my issue it was the fuel pump in the tank runs sweet as a nut now