Might have to let go of my baby :o(

chuckys3

Reaction score
Getting pressured on getting a family car and have to let go of my baby. This is my 2nd S3 and I think its time to let it go getting pressured of the other half and the little one on the way.

How much is my S3 worth and how much should I put it up for. I've done a few mods on the car, but its been my pride and joy and no expensive spared. Its immacualte. The Spec of the Car is all in my signature.

realistically, about 14-16k.

BUT...

sell those porsche big brakes (and trade with someones OEM ones) and you could make 500-600 (easy) extra.

Sell the RS6 (reps?), and swap for OEM ones.

swap the bling DV for an OEM one..

i reckon selling those bits seperately, you'd get about £1500, and you'd still get the same prce for your car...

[ QUOTE ]
realistically, about 14-16k.

BUT...

sell those porsche big brakes (and trade with someones OEM ones) and you could make 500-600 (easy) extra.

Sell the RS6 (reps?), and swap for OEM ones.

swap the bling DV for an OEM one..

i reckon selling those bits seperately, you'd get about £1500, and you'd still get the same prce for your car...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, fair point.

I'll have the brakes and the wheels please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree best to put it back to a little more stock.
I'd think £14k privately, depending on mileage. They seem to be struggling a little as the new range of superhot hatches is relaeased and the supposed new s3 announcement means theres a few owners wanting to sell up now rather than wait for the inevitable drop once its released.

There are nice spec 2002 cars with average miles not selling at £11k at present.

Seem to be buyers with £10k but when you get toward £14, you are getting into main dealer prices/ territory.

Trade the car is worth around 15-16k i would think, as i was offered 16k last week and mine is a standard 53 plate same colour and seats but only with 10k on the clock.

16k! wow, that's a pretty good deal. If you want to sell its worth thinking about at that.
It will only be 18-19k on the forecourt, probably take 18k for it and for that they have to warranty it, stock it,(ie cost of capital for stock holding etc).

A dealer will be miffed if he cannot make a solid 15-20% on a used car,(or a fixed sum of 1500 + quid for a typical 6k family car.
A years warranty will be charged at about £400 I suspect,so he does not have much to play with.

16k is an excellent price from a dealer........unless of course you are trading on a new car, in which case he may well be just loading the price of the new car a little, (ie not discounting it as much as he might) but still giving you the same cost to change.

But If you can find a dealer to give you 16k, cash, straight sale for a 2003 S3, (albeit v low miles) that is a pretty good deal IMO. I am not sure you'dget much moreif any privately.

There are a few s3s in the dealers and I have not seen any priced up over 18495, all late 2002 or 2003 regs.

Local guy to me got offered 13.5k for a 2003, (late) DBPearl R32 with leather and only 17k miles the other day! Dealer was quite embarrassed!

He was gutted!!! Dealer reckoned it would go on sale at 17495k, and they would then take 16500 for it!
Hence they would have their 3k ish to play with.

The market is weird out there. Not many late cars about privately,most arein the dealers, so if someone is after one, you may well do well. But there are a fair few 2002 or late 2001 nice spec lowish miles examples avilable for 10-12k.
Its almost worht just holding onto them?

Robinsons Audi in Norwich currently have a 2003 S3 in dolphin grey up at £18.5k, its got 20k miles.
Out of interest, how many miles has your example got ?
I reckon its worth around the 16k mark privately if its of similar mileage including the extras you have fitted.
They'll always be people knocking the price of a car on any internet forum.
Scoobynet is well known for it, interesting enough its normally the people who haven't got a scoob who just come along and stir it up for a bit of a laugh.
People who always try and offer you a ridiculous price generally haven't even got an S3...........which is why they offer only what they can afford to pay....thus they generally remain S3 less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best of luck with the sale, there is a buyer out there, just maybe not on here

[ QUOTE ]
Robinsons Audi in Norwich currently have a 2003 S3 in dolphin grey up at £18.5k, its got 20k miles.
Out of interest, how many miles has your example got ?
I reckon its worth around the 16k mark privately if its of similar mileage including the extras you have fitted.
They'll always be people knocking the price of a car on any internet forum.
Scoobynet is well known for it, interesting enough its normally the people who haven't got a scoob who just come along and stir it up for a bit of a laugh.
People who always try and offer you a ridiculous price generally haven't even got an S3...........which is why they offer only what they can afford to pay....thus they generally remain S3 less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best of luck with the sale, there is a buyer out there, just maybe not on here

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think anyone is stirring as you put it,just pointing out the market.
If someone posts asking what a car is worth, they are usually sounding out the market and sounding out the buyers out there! Why would a fellow S3 owner know the market better than the owner himself?? Only people out there who have any different knowledge to the owners is the buyers!! So that is what a seller is after.
My post above about the 16k dealer offer stands, the car you mention is similar to the ones I have been looking out a dealers. But they are still sat on the forecourt, not sold. A car at Listers Stratford was up for £18395 IIRC, salesman offered it up for just over £17150 if I ignored a scuff on the bumper they were planning to smart repair!! Its had been there over 60 days, dealers are forced to move their stock on or trade it at this age, by most dealer chain groups.
As for private prices, again these are set by trade price and buyer'soffers! My approach with a private sale is get a dealer quote, as striaght cash by, then add a decent enough chunk on, say £500 ona 10k car. Then that is my owest price, any less and I go t the dealer and have no grief. But I cannot get close to the dealer prices as a seller, or buyers go there, take a warranty and free coffee / BS!
So if my trade price is 15k, I will take say 15500, .....but I will advertise it as 16500!! it does not mean its worth it though,just that's what I advertise it at!!

Oh and by the way, I am not making any offers on any of these cars, so I have no vested interest!! I've been keeping my eye on prices of S3s for tow reasons for the last 4 months, and the market for them has slowed. Some real ncie cars that you think, wow that looks cheap, just are not selling. Gotta be a reason for it, surely. teh byers just are not as numerous as maybe 9 months ago.

Best of luck in your search for a 2003 S3 with 20k miles and decent spec for 14 grand then.
And i'm not being rude by that comment, I'm just of the opinion you're being overly optimistic.

happy hunting

Just PXed my 2003 52Plate S3 for 14,400 with 27,500 miles on the clock, they knocked off 250 'cause the wheels needed a refurb. It had the same basic spec as yours but with no mods...

...hand it over on Friday for something far more mundane and less nickable...dare I say it's name...a Seat Leon 2.0 TFSI...

Rich

ps I'll have some S3/A3 related stuff going on ebay, when I can be bothered and if they don't fit the Seat...diverter valve, roof bars, boot liner etc

[ QUOTE ]
why the change rich? want a warranty or just want a new car?

[/ QUOTE ]

He obviously has a TVR Chimaera 450 as a toy, and wants a more low key family/daily driver?

Think the new leon probably gets more attention than an S3 at the moment... just wondering why the change tis all... maybe 5 doors are required?
crazy2.gif

I had the S3 taken a few weeks back, they came in the back door and took the keys off the kitchen counter and drove off. They didn't drive it far, just about a mile and dumped it see if it had a tracker fitted, it did!

But it's never felt the same since I got it back, probably more physcological than anything else, so I went for something the theiving little scrotes probably wouldn't want to take...anyone want a car with a big S badge on the grille (and not the good audi type of s badge)

But the seat was the best of a bad bunch, more gadgets than the focus and golf, better power than the new civic. BTW these are not the hot versions I played with...I've got the TVR if I want to play /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But saying that the seats' got 185bhp at the moment and can be chipped to 235, so it could just about pull the skin off custard, the interior is way off the standard of the S3, but the ride is excellent...it is a golf after all

I will be sorry to see it go, but I've got until saturday to get rid of half a tank of petrol...time for fun/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Rich

forgot to mention its got 19k miles.

i might start putting it to standard. so if anyone is interested in the mods then send me a message

[ QUOTE ]
Best of luck in your search for a 2003 S3 with 20k miles and decent spec for 14 grand then.
And i'm not being rude by that comment, I'm just of the opinion you're being overly optimistic.

happy hunting

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking for an 03!

My original estimate was based upon my previous sentence suggesting he put it back to standard, (selling the other bits seperately at extra price of course). Mileage was not stated, I was guessing 25k or so.
Bearing in mind the price Woody got for his on a trade,on a new car, and that the other one has had a remap ad may have been used enthusiastically, (at least that's what people may think and sorry, but it will often put a few buyers and certainly dealers off), I dont think my 14k was too far off! It would have been interesing to see what the dealer wuld have offered for your s3 s a cash ourchase, Woody, I suspect he may have knocked a little bit more off, as he would not be making the profit on the sale of a new car to you?

As its 19k miles, it may make nearer 15k, AS A STOCK CAR, (ie with mods replaced).

As for me, I am after an earlier and cheaper car, 11k maybe, so I will have some pennies to spend at jabba!

BUt rember guys, it is not just the buyers that set the prices, the number of cars on the market also affects the price. So if you want good money for your S3, make sure you dont just all start selling them!! After all, if they are so much better than the competition, why get rid?? (and personally I do think they are better than a similarly priced new car, rather spend 14k on an s3 than on a focus st for example? Focus may be a bit better car in fact,but think about its depreciation and the similarly priced audi makes sense!!

Happy wheeler dealing all!