Having serious problems with my audi s3 8l HELP PLEASE

andy1

Reaction score
Hi im new to the forum and have noticed theres some members that are very mechanically minded to where as im not :(... i now have very serious issues with my newly purchased s3 (previous owner was a scammer and knew of the issues before he sold it to me)anyway after getting home with the car i parked it up fot the night then returned to it the next day to get to work. on my way there the temp gauge went shy high.a mate of mine decided to have a look at the thermostat to our surprise there was none?? Ive also noticed a burst hose that connects the hockey puck to the manifold and a fluid leak at the very back of the engine its also very smokey on start up. Has anyone any suggestions to where my problems are caused ? It would ge very much appreciated thanks andy and thanks to the guys who have been very welcoming and helpfull already :)

Dude... you are gonna have stop posting multiple threads about the same thing... :)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-bought-help-needed-urgently-if-possible.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/200173-overheating-problem-can-anyone-help.html

Keep this all going in this one for now and it keeps the context of the issues you are having mate...

As said in the other threads (and via PM) have you checked the water pump? I would check that seeing as you have the stat out... replace any split pipes as they are not supposed to be split... if the water pump feels ok then get a stat fitted... get the engine into a state where its at least somewhere handy and go from there... would also be advisable to scan for fault codes... info on how to do this and where to get the software can be found in the FAQ thread in the stickies...

The coolant temp should never go high with no stat... high temps are a symptom of a sticking stat or damaged pump... also potentially a cracked head/warped head/blown headgasket... typically from a high temp incident caused by a broken pump...

<tuffty/>

Sorry bud im still trying to find my way around the site and i think im in a bit of a panic over this but lesson learned. To be honest ive no idea what to do in order to check the pump it just seems to be problem after problem haha thanks andy

With the stat out you should be able to see the back end of the pump or at least have a feel in... the impeller will have either broken up (will be obvious) or have split where it connects to the pulley shaft (will look intact)... if it looks intact you can see if you can turn the impeller with your fingers... if it does this then its shagged...

So... look in here..

tbelt16.jpg

for this...
IMG-20120710-00015.jpg

or this...
PA280017-vi.jpg

<tuffty/>

Reactions: JudderMan and Westy
Oh well i wont be listening to my mate again lol he seemed to think the thermostat was on the right hand side ot the engine god knows what he was looking at... must be a thermostat inthere after all sorry for the messing aroung il get a proper mechanic asap been hard finding one that works weekends :(

Lol ive as much mechanical knowlage as a horse..weve been looking at some sort of plastic housing on the right hand side of the engine connected to the head just under the hockey puck thingy .. well at leat thats what i think haha

Lol ive as much mechanical knowlage as a horse..weve been looking at some sort of plastic housing on the right hand side of the engine connected to the head just under the hockey puck thingy .. well at leat thats what i think haha

Andy, where in Ayrshire are you located? I know quite a few local mechanics so may be able to link you up with someone close to you, :) x

Ah... thats the coolant housing at the end of the head...

The stat is under the inlet manifold (plastic housing behind the alternator) and the pump is at the front of the engine...

The stat housing can be seen in this pic... (any excuse to show off my new engine :D)
20130922_143501.jpg

<tuffty/>

Andy, where in Ayrshire are you located? I know quite a few local mechanics so may be able to link you up with someone close to you, :) x
hi sandra that would be great. Im located in ayr south ayrshire postcode ka8 area. Thankcs

Ah... thats the coolant housing at the end of the head...

The stat is under the inlet manifold (plastic housing behind the alternator) and the pump is at the front of the engine...

The stat housing can be seen in this pic... (any excuse to show off my new engine :D)
20130922_143501.jpg

<tuffty/>
nice one mate thanks
btw engine looks mint

hi sandra that would be great. Im located in ayr south ayrshire postcode ka8 area. Thankcs

Just 15 miles from me, i will drop a couple of emails of to few mechanics i know and let you know Andy. :) x

[QSorry bud im still trying to find my way around the site and to be honest i think im in a bit of a panic haha ive booked it in for tuesday to be looked at so i guess il have to be patient... i put everything i had into buyin what i though was a fantastic car and it UOTE=Sandra;1983193]Just 15 miles from me, i will drop a couple of emails of to few mechanics i know and let you know Andy. :) x [/QUOTE]thats fantastic sandra thanks again :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help guys.. cars back on the road.. ****** water pump.

Reactions: <tuffty/>