Cast wishbone

Grale1

Reaction score
Hi guys, can you fit the cast wishbones from s3/R32 etc on to an a3 without having the tab on the coilovers for the Quattro?

Thanks simon

Cast arms are designed to be used with droplink/ARB setup that connects to the mounting point of the damper... they have no provision for the normal A3 drop links

<tuffty/>

Short answer: Tuffty is right.

Unless........

If you were to get lucky and find some really early S3 wishbones, they actually have a little cast stub in the drop link fixing location.

This can be drilled and tapped to M10 to fit stock mk4 / A3 droplinks.

those arms are rare though. I know this, because I have some.

I was gonna mention those Nick but... my personal feeling is the bosses don't look massively substantial and being a cast material subject to a lot of potential load from the ARB its not something I would do and suspect part of the reason VAG went for the droplink setup they did rather than link off the arm like they do on the pressed steel arms

<tuffty/>

I know the ones your mean prawn as I was offered some and was thinking along those lines also but as tuffty said I was sure weather it would hold out under the load

Pretty certain they're not cast, they're forged. ;) Compared to most suspension parts ARB's don't take all that much loading anyway; think how much you can flex an ARB by hand. I haven't seen the early ones with the boss, but unless it's massively spindly I'd expect them to be just fine. VAG engineers will have designed it in there, and then decided not to use it, rather than just sticking it there for the hell of it, so it should be designed to take the loading.

I have a set of early wishbones with the nipples and small bushes, will be putting them in the classified section shortly