Temperature Gauge

Pubemammal

Reaction score
Since I got my car the temperature gauge has been rather odd. It will take a long time to heat up but when it does it sits on about 60... unless in traffic it sits on 90. If going around 70-80 mph on the motorway it drops right down to almost zero.

Ive got no problems with getting hot and cold air out the blowers even when temp is showing zero. Could this be the thermostat or more likely temp sensor?

Lately the idle has started hunting up and down for a few seconds then eventually settles down... unless the air con is on then its fine!? Related? Or more likely MAF issue? I will unplug it to see if its the MAF later on.

Thanks

Last edited:
I swapped my thermostat and a wobbly idle disappeared too. A garage wrongly thought the idle wobble was the HG :think: Make sure you 'burp' the system after putting the new stat in (run it with the coolant header cap off, put it back on, go for a drive, top up coolant as necessary).

btw, if you have very small hands fitting the stat will be a doddle...if not...it's a PITA. Use an allen key on the top of the left bolt, that's the only way I could do it. Such a fiddly job for what is just a two bolt job.

I swapped my thermostat and a wobbly idle disappeared too. A garage wrongly thought the idle wobble was the HG :think: Make sure you 'burp' the system after putting the new stat in (run it with the coolant header cap off, put it back on, go for a drive, top up coolant as necessary).

btw, if you have very small hands fitting the stat will be a doddle...if not...it's a PITA. Use an allen key on the top of the left bolt, that's the only way I could do it. Such a fiddly job for what is just a two bolt job.

That's promising. .. hopefully kill two birds with one stone. Thanks for the advice I'll fit the new stat at the weekend :) although... my hands aren't small :'( lol.

LOL, OK dude, if you've got big hands you'll have the same trouble I had. Even drafted in my dwarf mate (not really a dwarf but he's small) and he struggled. If I had to do it again, I'd take the whole front end off first :)

Oh and you might as well do the N249 bypass while you're kicking around that area.

Good luck!

Reactions: Pubemammal