Do I need to replace my topmounts?...

bs101508

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently got an 1998 A3 1.8t with 165k on the clock nice and cheap! Currently sorting out any niggles in the history and generally making it safe and roadworthy...

Bear with me as this is my first car and I am currently going up a steep learning curve identifying and fixing its faults!

Looking through the MOT history I spotted two advisories saying;

001 'Nearside front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment'

002 'Offside front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment'

Sure enough I openned the bonnet and saw that these bits (top mounts?) are sticking out quite a bit...:
Right: Left: Both:
DSC 0222DSC 0221DSC 0223

Is this the topmount bushing giving out? I can't find anything in the history saying they have beem replaced so I assume they are OEM...

Should I get myself a couple of these and do them while replacing my disks and pads?
Lemforder Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

If so then do I need any other bits to go with them, or do I just need to fit these and the problem will go?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Unless they are knocking, or the shock is coming off, I see no reason to change those. If you do, for piece of mind, then get some new top mount bearings aswell whilst you are at it.

There was a slight knock when I test drove it when it went over speed humps or turned very sharply... Unfortunately I had to take it off the road while I'm fixing it up so I can't drive it around to test these things thoroughly which is annoying!

Thanks though, new top mount bearings are now on the list aswell!