All brake lights have randomly stopped working...

Mi11ar

Reaction score
Randomly on my drive back to camp on Sunday night, all 3 of my brake lights decided to stop working all at once, checked the fuse that's fine, and all the bulbs seem to be ok also, I've heard of people having a similar problem before something about a switch mechanism behind the brake pedal???

Can anyone spread any light on this please?

Cheers

same happened to mine, it was the brake switch that had packed in.
how i love the a3 s3. easy job to change it, but i believe there are 2 variations of switch.

Interior49

Ahh yes just as I expected, I'll have to track down which switch is for my Car then :p

Btw thanks for the pic :)

The brake light switch was redesigned around 2007. The old one had a pink/violet collar and broke often - part number 1J0945511F. The redesigned part I think is black but sorry don't have the part number for that.

If the switch has broken then your ESP light is probably on too.

Good news is that the resigned part is much better and reliable.

John.

Cheers :)

I don't have any warning lights or anything on my dash everything is showing up as fine :s

just spray with WD-40, i did this with mine when it was sticking and been working perfectly since, it might just be stuck or biut of dodgey connection. worth just giving a spray for a cheap easy fix.

JJ

hi, my esp light wasnt on either?
it threw up a code for brake switch and speed controller(cruise control

The brake light switch was redesigned around 2007. The old one had a pink/violet collar and broke often - part number 1J0945511F. The redesigned part I think is black but sorry don't have the part number for that

Revised part is dark green - 1C0945511A.

When mine went (twice) the ESP light came on, but if yours don't then could point to something else.

John.