Turbo doesn't work straight the way ? Help please

lewis.bates.73

Reaction score
Hey I have been out in the car all day driving Eco friendly and I just went to go back out in it after engine had cooled right down and my turbo wasn't kicking in ? I could hear it whistling as it does but when it warmed abit it come on a little bit so I turned it off and started again it worked fine could any please help why this happens I have no smoke anything like that the turbo is in tip top shape really good turbo to be honest

Model? Year? any fault codes? Checked for split pipes/hoses?

<tuffty/>

Model? Year? any fault codes? Checked for split pipes/hoses?

<tuffty/>

Audi a3 1.9 tdi 110se S reg
No engine warning light no split pipes nothing just strange how I turned engine off and it come back on

i fixed mine with some wynns carb cleaner. sprayed in the egr valve and pipe. leave it for a few hours (mine was left for 2 weeks as i had to fit a new driveshaft:sob:) used to go into limp mode all the time, after the carb cleaner it hasnt done it once since. although i did repeat it again after a week of driving.

i fixed mine with some wynns carb cleaner. sprayed in the egr valve and pipe. leave it for a few hours (mine was left for 2 weeks as i had to fit a new driveshaft:sob:) used to go into limp mode all the time, after the carb cleaner it hasnt done it once since. although i did repeat it again after a week of driving.

Right so put some carb cleaner in and what run the car for abit or not and thanks for the help

leave it for a bit then give the car a good run. I drove mine to the the girlfriends which is about 30 miles. Drive it carefully till it gets up to temp then thrash it, don't change gear below 3000 rpm. I found with mine that it responds much better if you drive it like you stole it.

oh and make sure you spray alot in there as it needs to get into the turbo and get to work. When you start it up it will splutter and cough a little but it should be fine after that. Hopefully there should be a load of black sh*t come out of the exhaust once you start thrashing it.

id be inclined to take the egr off, bypass it, and clean the intake system up, they get coated with a thick sludge. The veins in the turbo, no idea how to unstick them other than taking the thing off, which prob isnt v easy

I found the carb cleaner helped unstick the vanes, might also be worth running the engine with the intercooler pipe off so you can see the egr butterfly valve and spraying some in while the engine is running. The only other option is to take it off and carefully take it apart and clean it by hand.

I meant to say get some egr blanking plates and fit them, stops the problem occuring again.

Just out of interest if carb cleaner is anything like brake cleaner id be very carful spraying it in anywhere with the engine running. Iv used brake cleaner to get deisals running before and also witnessed someone soak an air filter in brake cleaner and not dry it before running the car and it went bang and big clouds of smoke from both ends, , and that was the end of a tdci engine lol.

Got to laugh at spraying stuff down the egr valve! Go on eBay and by a £3 blanking plate, this blocks off the egr valve, then undo the vacuum pipe that goes into the plastic thing on top of egr valve, and stick a screw in it. I stand smooth running and more mpg!
Limp mode is most likely sticky variable veins on the turbo. It's a turbo off fix to be honest.

I know it sounds stupid, but I had the same issue with my tdi. Half a can of carb cleaner and it now runs without a problem. My mate was driving behind me on his motor bike and I nearly blinded him with all the crap that came out of the exhaust. Maybe I was just lucky.

I wouldnt do it with the engine running though, spaing unmetered fuel into it will make it revs its nuts off, does with brake cleaner atleast :/

Brake cleaner is much more aggressive and doesn't contain any oil can cleaner is oil based. Only squirt a small amount in when the engine is running

I brought an egr cleaner and it's running fine at the moment so let's see what happens thanks for all your advice

give a good thrashing and then spray some more down there, should run fine after that. I always add a dose of millers diesel stuff in mine now to keep everything unclogged.