s3 wont select gears

kevlibstt

Reaction score
hi. my sons 03 s3 wont select gears . he cant select neutral and i think its stuck in 2nd .it recently had a new clutch so its not that i dont think.kev

Selector fork in the gear box... its come loose... common issue but requires gearbox to be stripped to fix

<tuffty/>

does he need a new gear selector fork .he does have a 2000 s3 which he is stripping down so would it be easy to change the gearbox and could we do it on the drive

does he need a new gear selector fork .he does have a 2000 s3 which he is stripping down so would it be easy to change the gearbox and could we do it on the drive

The forks are riveted onto the shafts and the rivets break... its a relatively easy fix but obvs requires the box to be taken apart to do...

You can use the other box but being a 2000 its gonna have the ball/socket type selector ends so you will need to swap a few bits over from the old box from the changer mechanism.. the earlier S3's had a different transfer box too... it will fit but has the earlier alloy bracket rather than the later steel one...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Shinkansen