JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

A3 1.8t Quattro wineing/squeal, boost leak?

Hi all, right need abit of advice, or ideas, I have an audi a3 1.8t Quattro 2000 reg, basically I have a squeal/whine that occurs when's get up to about 20mph and above, it happens in all gears, dipping the clutch, touching the brakes everything I try will not make the noise go away, apart from reducing speed to below 20mph but then the noise takes a couple of seconds to disappear, iv checked brakes (disks and callipers) drive shafts suspension componants, bushes the lot, now the noise seems to come from the drivers side front wheel, after checking everything above I'm starting to think maybe there is a hole in the intercooler as the noise could quiet easily sound like a high pitch whistle, my question is does anybody know of this noise being associated with a bad intercooler or if I'm kinda looking in the right area? Any areas I could of over looked? Any tips or tricks to confirm a possible intercooler culprit, thanks in advance guys/lasses

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    if you hear the noise and then dip the clutch (engine now at idle) and you still hear the noise it prob wont be the intercooler, it could however be your transfer box, or similar, try and post a video of the noise, that will help
    ​Wish Rachel would let me have my TDI mk5 back

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers for the reply, Ok will get a video up tomorrow, transfer box......... Sounds expensive :/

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rustynlc View Post
    Cheers for the reply, Ok will get a video up tomorrow, transfer box......... Sounds expensive :/
    Nah not to bad,you can prob get a transfer box for like £100 and its about an hour and a half to fit and refill with oil

1st Gear

Status
    That's not bad, ok well I'll get a video of the noise tomorrow and ill upload it, to swap out the transfer box is it a hard job? Does it entail dipping alot of stuff out/down?

4th Gear

Status
    its a breeze dude, o/s driveshaft off, the side mount on the transfer box off, 4 bolts that hold the transfer box to the gearbox and the dogbone mount off, you will need a 1/4 drive allen key socket and long extension to get to the bolt in the centre of the transfer box drive flange

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers bud, preperation is the key, at least I know what the job entails, cheers for that bud, ill whip a video just to help confirm,

1st Gear

Status
    A3 1.8t squeal above 20mph - YouTube

Heres a video of the noise, noise starts once I reach around 20mph and continues throughout the gears, dipping the clutch doesn't seem to make it go away, it only really stops when my speed slows below 20mph, sorry about the wind noise,

1st Gear

Status
    Just picked up a new set of wheel bearings, and a second hand transfer box, going to get my spammers out an have a tinker to see I I can sort out this blasted squeal! Wish me luck!

1st Gear

Status
    Took the drivers side calliper off and disassembled it, greased the two slider pins up reassemebled took it for a spin and the squeal wasn't there, the squeal appeared for a fraction of a second but was short lives, could this off been the problem? No signs of wear on the pads, or disks!?

1st Gear

Status
    Driving back from castle coombe today, and the squeal reappeared back to the guessing bored!

1st Gear

Status
    This is really starting to bug me now, it's coming from drivers side front wheel, noticed today that when I turn to the right the. Squeal lessons, and sometimes stops, does this point to a specific area?