Water Dripping

Dom Knight

Reaction score
For some days I have noticed a wet patch on the drive.
Looking underneath the car just to the rear of the engine is a drip.
So I collected the water and sure enough it was water and clear.
I even tasted it and it has no chemicals in it.
I lifted bonnet and that chassis beam at the bottom and to the back of the engine has quite a bit of it sitting on it as the beam as it is concave.
Not having washed the car for a while, I cant figure where it's coming from.
The washer bottle is topped up and the level is unchanged.
The engine coolant is at the same level too.

Is it possible the water is leaking from the air con system ?

Could be condensate from the air con? I noticed the same thing last weekend on my S3... Only had it two weeks, so I'm looking forward to the replies from this post...

I'm interested in this too. I noticed the same thing from the same place from mine a couple of weeks back then last weekend a slight hiss after I switched the engine off that sounds like it's coming from under the gear stick. It's only a very slight drip and all my bottles are topped up. Like Dom said, is it the aircon?

lol, same time Artsa. Only had my S3 since July so fairly new to them too.

I love my S3... Awesome car :) Brings a smile to my face every time...

it can only really be the aircon, all my car do it except for the one that doesnt have aircon

Air con, definitely. It's the condensor condensing. Hot engine near a cold refridgerent thing makes it condense and drip.

btw, kudos for tasting it! That's commitment. Usually a sniff will do. If it was antifreeze you would probably be violently sick LOL.

I am certain now it's the air con unit.
Doubt we will get the system on now as winter is on it's way.
So hopefully the drip will stop in good time.

And there was a time when you could drink antifreeze because of it's alcohol content.
Alas they put a stop to that some time back by adding something that made you sick.

I am just searching and maybe need help soon as i have a water leak but the drips from where you say is air con (condensation drips) as mine has it there but is also leaking coolant from rear believe top of engine as it is running down and that has a taste of antifreeze