Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

windscreen washer tank problem

Hi, think the frost has split my water reservoir for the windscreen washers, filled it last week and its now empty.

Anyone know the cost of a new one and if its worth fitting/repairing it yourself??

Obviously know where it is but are there any tricks to getting it out and any pitfalls to trying this?

Car is a 210bhp 00 S3.

Many thanks

Rich [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Re: windscreen washer tank problem

I cant even begin to think of how much it would cost to buy a new part from Audi.. given you local dealer a ring... then once you've picked yourself up off the floor, try a scrappy. I can see this costing over 100 quid from a dealer, then probably 2 hours to fit, then 5000 worth of screenwash to fill the system, plus a new set of wiper blades at a 'knock-down' price of only 100 each.

do it yourself, its only a plastic bottle, a couple of pipes and a electrical connector after all, and you'll probably just get scraped knuckles rather than losing an arm and a leg.

Status

Before you do that check and make sure the pump is seated correctly and that the seal as not gone where the pump is seated.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

New washer reservoir is about 25 from the stealer.

Now you just gotta pick yourself up off the floor for it being so cheap! :-)

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    New washer reservoir is about 25 from the stealer.

Now you just gotta pick yourself up off the floor for it being so cheap! :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

man, now thats one price i cant believe! wow.

it goes against all the rules for pricing...

1. It's made of plastic.
    2. It takes 10 mins to replace.
    3. It costs about 10p to produce.
    4. You can replace it yourself.
    5. Its been specially designed to contain (wait for it) water...

it should cost at least 150!!

bet they dont have any in stock though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

I got the larger sized 5L one off of ebay for 7, brand new to replace my 3L one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is a bit tight fit. IIRC, you have to loosen the power steering reservoir and radiator expansion tank.

Reverse Gear

Status

Cheers people, will have a go at ripping it out myself then!

Reverse Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got the larger sized 5L one off of ebay for 7, brand new to replace my 3L one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is a bit tight fit. IIRC, you have to loosen the power steering reservoir and radiator expansion tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't suppose you've got any pics of it installed?

GumbyGaz

Status

I had exactly the same thing happen to me the other day. Filled up the tank with 5l of fluid, a day later and it was empty. Assumed the frost had cracked it, so removed the washer bottle (and yes, the 5L tank is pain to removed! Seems to dissapear forever under the wing, loosening the power steering & expansion tank helps, but it's still a battle)
    Once removed, there was no fault on the tank! Sods law!
    Put it all back together and it's fine now, so can only assume that was one of the pumps loose. They doesn't seem to be any proper fixing, just clips against the tank, suppose suction probably keeps a tight fit.
    So I hope it'll be the same for you, if you can reach the pumps then see if you can push them tight. But i couldn't, too much cables and too fat hands!

Reverse Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me the other day. Filled up the tank with 5l of fluid, a day later and it was empty. Assumed the frost had cracked it, so removed the washer bottle (and yes, the 5L tank is pain to removed! Seems to dissapear forever under the wing, loosening the power steering & expansion tank helps, but it's still a battle)
    Once removed, there was no fault on the tank! Sods law!
    Put it all back together and it's fine now, so can only assume that was one of the pumps loose. They doesn't seem to be any proper fixing, just clips against the tank, suppose suction probably keeps a tight fit.
    So I hope it'll be the same for you, if you can reach the pumps then see if you can push them tight. But i couldn't, too much cables and too fat hands!

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks for your reply, 2 questions; Is the S3 tank a 5litre one & where abouts are the pumps located in relation to the tank.

Cheers.

6th Gear

Status

the larger tank is used on s3 as it is used for headlight washers too. On my A3 with the now 5 litre one, the pump is at the back of the tank next to the charcoal filter. At the front is the level sensor.

GumbyGaz

Status

Mine's got headlight washers, so I'd assume the tank is the same as the S3 one. As khufu says, rear bottom of the tank, (side closest to charcoal filter etc), is pump for Windscreen & Rear wiper.
    Front bottom of the tank is the pump for my headlight washers.
    Front middle(ish) is the water level sensor.

Sorry, should have taken pics! If only i'd seen this earlier! Doh!

1st Gear

Status

I sometimes have issues with losing washer fluid and it is due to the headlight washerjets leaking. I have spoke to someone form audi and they say that it is a common problem with the s3. It comes and goes and seems to be improving by its self. Have you checked where the water is actually sitting under your car? If you have got a puddle by the front bumper or you can see it dripping then i can aonly assume that it is your headlight washer jets. If it is the guy said that they are about 50 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] per side.

Aaron