Engine Rebuild Wanted!

Tovs

Reaction score
Purposely brought a high mileage car to of course make the "project" my own.

Though before undergoing any engine modification and anything like that, rebuilding my engine is an option that I'm considering.
As the engine just sits shy of 145k miles, it look like its been maintained though not to the standard of what you I may want, so I can have it run like new.

Anyone recommend any good garages that rebuild engines for fair prices, other than overcharging.

Cheers!

Thought I did, my bad...though it does say underneath the picture. :meeting:

East Anglia region.

Cheers

Cost will depend on your expectation of 'rebuild'... bottom end only? fitting rods? new pistons? rebore? head refurb?

Getting an engine rebuilt shouldn't be done 'cheaply' especially if you have plans for big power... just in the process of building mine and its not cheap... all the little things mount up especially sundry items etc...

For a decent rebuild you would be looking at a rebore, new pistons (with rings), rifle drilled rods, new oil pump, new mains and big end shells, new thrust bearings, crank plastigauged to check if it needs grinding, new mains bolts and new seals/gaskets...

Did you have a budget in mind

<tuffty/>

Cost will depend on your expectation of 'rebuild'... bottom end only? fitting rods? new pistons? rebore? head refurb?

Getting an engine rebuilt shouldn't be done 'cheaply' especially if you have plans for big power... just in the process of building mine and its not cheap... all the little things mount up especially sundry items etc...

For a decent rebuild you would be looking at a rebore, new pistons (with rings), rifle drilled rods, new oil pump, new mains and big end shells, new thrust bearings, crank plastigauged to check if it needs grinding, new mains bolts and new seals/gaskets...

Did you have a budget in mind

<tuffty/>

This is the thing
PHP:
, engine rebuilding is one of the things I know little about, I know the minor ins and out, but it'd have to be done at a garage for me.

I don't have a budget, its more the case of...

"What's the top end guide price, and work down" depending on what you get for money etc etc.

Cheers

I reckon it will be heading into the 1500 quid region fairly easily... not totted up what I have spent building my stroker but tbh the only price difference between that and a std 1.8 rebuild is the crank at 500 quid...

Rebore 150 ish, rods 480 ish, shells 100-120 ish, pistons 400ish... plus a few other odds and sods... gaskets and seals mount up, new oil pump, timing belt kit, head bolt, head gasket, oil and coolant, inlet/exhaust gaskets and of course the labour for the build...

Does look nice when they are done though ;P

Here's mine
20130907_181753.jpg

<tuffty/>

Are you anywhere near norwich, if so there is a brilliant bloke, name of the company is witmores.

I reckon it will be heading into the 1500 quid region fairly easily... not totted up what I have spent building my stroker but tbh the only price difference between that and a std 1.8 rebuild is the crank at 500 quid...

Rebore 150 ish, rods 480 ish, shells 100-120 ish, pistons 400ish... plus a few other odds and sods... gaskets and seals mount up, new oil pump, timing belt kit, head bolt, head gasket, oil and coolant, inlet/exhaust gaskets and of course the labour for the build...

Does look nice when they are done though ;P

<tuffty/>

That's not bad at all, yeah 1500 is well within my budget for it, that's for sure, just I'd be fairly irritated at doing engine work at that mileage, and something goes wrong, so this build is most definitely something.

Mmmm, that does look nice to be fair! ( sexy i should say)You got long to go on it?

Are you anywhere near norwich, if so there is a brilliant bloke, name of the company is witmores.

Yeah I'm not fair from Norwich to be honest, only a few mile trip.

The company name sounds familiar to me, I'll be sure to check it out!

Thanks Marc :yes:

Before ploughing straight into an engine build I'd spend a lot of time going through the rest of the car and seeing what bits and pieces are about to let go or will need replacing so you get a good idea of the full picture. If your only intending to run sensible power one of the things that will more than likely not blow up is the engine itself, everything on the car is going to be a minimum of 10 years old so there are plenty of maintenance jobs that will need doing.
I'd be sorting anything like that first then doing your build as there is nothing more annoying than spending a lot of time effort and money building a beast to find you've lots of other bits holding you back from enjoying the car. I'm not trying to discourage you, builds are fun, I loved doing mine :)

Before ploughing straight into an engine build I'd spend a lot of time going through the rest of the car and seeing what bits and pieces are about to let go or will need replacing so you get a good idea of the full picture. If your only intending to run sensible power one of the things that will more than likely not blow up is the engine itself, everything on the car is going to be a minimum of 10 years old so there are plenty of maintenance jobs that will need doing.
I'd be sorting anything like that first then doing your build as there is nothing more annoying than spending a lot of time effort and money building a beast to find you've lots of other bits holding you back from enjoying the car. I'm not trying to discourage you, builds are fun, I loved doing mine :)

I agree :)! I've already picked a couple of bits up which have been replaced, which in slow time its all going through. I've got a few bits booked in for the up coming months, few bits ordered too.

As far as I can see, and second opinions can see, there's not many issues, which I regularly get it checked anyway, give this A3 some TLC rightfully deserved :D

Thanks for the input though, its all noted and taken on board!

Ta!

Reactions: slowcoach3