noise after start up. please help!!!

chromiehomie

Reaction score
Recently my 1999 1.8t Agu has been making a noise after start up. Sounds like the starter motor not disengaging. However, the noise seems to be coming from the right of the head of the engine. After its started it idled very low, if the car is revved, the car either cuts out or revs to a maximum of 1500 then drops the back to 1500 then drops. Eventually it will cut out. The car is not drivable and its stuck at my workplace. Any help please?

You tried bump starting it so not to use the starter motor? then let it idle
check for split or separated hoses. The 1.8t`s has allot of vacuum hoses allover the place

Check your alternator? Use a long screwdriver on parts of the engine, listening through the handle end onto your ear. Take care, but this will help narrow down the location of the noise. Check your alternator charge using a multimeter. Any garage can check this for you too. Let us know how you get on!

Sounds like the MAF tbh... AGU's tend not to run well if the MAF has gone... can you get a fault code scan of some description? first place to look tbh...

<tuffty/>

You're right tuffty. Had the garage round the corne. From me have a look at it. They said they cleaned and reprogrammed it. Runs fine now. Will see how long it lasts for :)