My First Audi - Help!

J44KWED

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this blog but have read many interesting posts already and I now have a very expensive shopping list so thanks for that!

About a month ago i bought a blue 1998 Audi A3 1.8T full leather with 88,000 miles on the clock. It had recently had a new gearbox, cam belt, clutch, solid mass flywheel conversion, fuel & water pumps. So I was fairly happy i got it for just under £1,000 :w00t: The reg also begins 'S3' I wish it was an S3!

I bought the car as standard, and put some 18" ZCW ZM5 wheels and Maxxis Pro R1 tyres on within a week of having it. It's been a great car so far, but I've found a couple of things wrong with her since.

The last MOT (April 2013) said that both 'nearside & offside bonded suspension unit is deteriorated but can function as intended'.
Is that this?:

The car pulls to the left if i let go of the steering wheel, to drive straight i have to steer slightly right! I've had the alignment checked twice but they said it was all properly aligned, so I'm thinking it must be the bonded suspension unit. Anyone else had this issue? The tread on the left front tyre was severely worn on the very edge when i bought the car and don't wanna wreck my new tyres!

Also just tonight i was having a poke around the engine bay, and found that a hose coming off my stock dump valve has broken (if that's what it is) the lower end was completely separated, and when i touched the hose, it completely came off in my hand! Oops. I've been driving with it like this fine, and i can hear a dump valve whoosh noise when i change gear and hadn't felt any problems driving it- Can anyone advise me what that hose does and if i should replace the DV with an 007p while I'm at it?

Here it is:

Thx in advance!

p.s. I'm based in West London if anyone can recommend a good garage?

Cheers,
Jack.

​Hi Jack, welcome to audi-sport.net. Im sure you will enjoy the forum. :) x

Managed to find out how to add photos:

Car when i bought it..

1239998_10151601742162411_106066181_n.jpg

Car now I've added the wheels:

1236331_10151601742317411_1154521610_n.jpg

601046_10151601742287411_1324603576_n.jpg

rear bonded suspension unit?:

8307_10151601742432411_1314357797_n.jpg

DV issue:

1238713_10151601749547411_1887077524_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1236331_10151601742317411_1154521610_n.jpg
    1236331_10151601742317411_1154521610_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 243
Oh that DV wants sorting! Run a new vac feed to it, as in replace that split pipe ASAP. Just buy a new standard one to for about £35-£40, they often work better than Forge. If you don't sort it, you could end up doing some damage to the turbo as it can't correctly dump the excess boost when you change gear or on the over run.

You must be able to hear that suspension, as above with the pipe, man that needs sorting

Do the fancy stuff last get the car running correctly first

Reactions: s3dave
Thanks guys,

Will get my rear beam bushes sorted asap. I've been quoted £120-£150 per side.. :scared2:

16Klappe - I can't see the N249 in my engine bay.. is it somewhere else on mine or you think it's been removed already?
Just off to get some new 4mm piping..

enginebay.JPG

Also, my glass bung arrived from wiper blanking plug. wiper blanking grommet. de-wipering. wiper delete. - Wischerloch cleanen. Heckwischer entfernen. yesterday so I de-wipered her this morning.. and i think i might debadge this afternoon too!

dewiper.jpg

'98 will be an AGU engine code and wont have an N249.

Get a new standard DV (710N from S3) and fit that with some new vac line.

If you debadge it, leave the rings on, it looks weird without them. Or you can get nice gloss black rings from ebay which look smart!

Turbo and suspension, needs sorting ASAP to prevent other damages occurring, especially the turbo, might Dump in itself, causing your turbo to fail, then costing you mega bucks, rather than a few quid

Do the fancy stuff last get the car running correctly first

Love how some folks jump straight into modding when the cars not right in the first place...

You cant polish a ****!

As above, get it up to scratch first before the rest.
I'd say any car that's needed a gearbox at that mileage has already been well abused & neglected tho.

Yeah apparently the diff went in the old gearbox. I hope to give it TLC from now on!

Thanks for the heads up though guys, I've fitted a new hose this afternoon. Does seem to be a bit sharper on acceleration/gear change now, but then again that might just be because I've been driving the missus' 1.2 Fiat 500 around. I'll get the suspension sorted asap. Pay day next week!

newpipe.jpg

Yeah apparently the diff went in the old gearbox. I hope to give it TLC from now on!

Thanks for the heads up though guys, I've fitted a new hose this afternoon. Does seem to be a bit sharper on acceleration/gear change now, but then again that might just be because I've been driving the missus' 1.2 Fiat 500 around. I'll get the suspension sorted asap. Pay day next week!

Needs some serious TLC, a good clean out of the engine bay that's for sure. I'd advise to keep it on a standstill till the suspension is sorted, to lower the risk of further damage.

Fiat 500 it is! Beast :happy:

I'm pleased to mention I've found a reputable VW/Audi garage in West London that will replace both Rear Axle bushes for £150! Booked her in for tomorrow. Just going to have standard Audi bushes to replace, don't want to risk making the ride too firm with the Polybush ones. :)

How's it goin Jack, that BP looks very familiar, where did you book it in, in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry I couldn't recommend anywhere myself as i've never been happy with any of the garages i've been to except when i went to west london audi for a fixed price service and that was only because of the amount of times i was called sir and Mr ... was worth the premium alone :)

D

Picked the car up tonight after having the new rear axle bushes fitted for £200, car feels much better over the bumps (no massive thud at the back any more). Next on the agenda is to replace top mounts and ARB bushes.

Any members living in West London area I would highly recommend hestonvw.co.uk

Picked the car up tonight after having the new rear axle bushes fitted for £200, car feels much better over the bumps (no massive thud at the back any more). Next on the agenda is to replace top mounts and ARB bushes.

Any members living in West London area I would highly recommend hestonvw.co.uk

Hopefully it holds out! Good job :happy:

I have a similar problem with my car always going left and having to hold the wheel to the right, mine feels loose on the front also. I've had 4 wheel alignment a few times and it's always good, in the last few months I've been told that it's my diff on the gearbox is knackered, how true this is I don't know, hope you get yours sorted

Oh damn i really hope it isn't the gearbox!
My gearbox isn't very smooth actually, quite hard to get into 1st at the lights and tough going into 2nd too. Takes its toll on my left shoulder after a while, and I don't have small shoulders either. Was thinking of replacing the dog mount to see if that helped. I read a few posts on here saying it did help some people giving smoother gear changes. Worth a try for a cheap part i think.

I put the red one in, made a little difference on mine but I know my box needs changing and the driveshafts on mine will get done at the same time