what mpg do you get from your s3 with mods or without ?

miniturhero

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondered and thought it may be interesting to find out what sort of mpg we are getting out of our s3's and with what mods? Also if anyone has some tips on how to improve mpg ? I will kick things off I have a standard s3 and I only seem to get a poor 23.9 mpg !!! I think that os very poor and would like to know how to improve it. And that is driving sensible too!!

i get the same as you... standard to... driving me mad, i do have a split pipe and both lambda sensors are ment to shot??

i get the same as you... standard to... driving me mad, i do have a split pipe and both lambda sensors are ment to shot??
That would be why then, i can get 39mpg on my run to work as its 5th all the way driving sensibly that's with all mods but driving round where i live i get 26mpg if i floor it everywhere

you reckon lambda sensors could cause such terrile mpg?

If they are faulty but its not common... what is common are split pipes and the ECU will fight to correct AFR as unmetered air gets in or metered air escapes

MPG is also very subjective to use and driving style... 20v turbo engines are not the most economical in the world but 25+ mpg is typical subject to use... much below that suggests problems typically split pipes or faulty sensors... MAF normally and sometimes the EGT probe on facelift S3's

<tuffty/>

Cheers tuffty I new you would have a good explanation and ideas of the cause , as you know I have a split pipe so will sort that then see again but dont think thst will make much difference might need to give a few things a once over.

I average around 30 mpg...
Thats daily use traveling in and out of the city in rush hour and social driving at weekends.
Done this over the last 5 tanks of fuel or so now
Mines mapped and has the usual mods.

I have a B7 RS4 as well and I get about 40 more miles per tank than I do in my S3....Same size tank as well.... About 230 for S3... About 270 for RS4.... That's on a run as well...

i seriously need to figure out whats wrong, my average mpg display doesnt really fluctuate very fast it might go up 0.1 evry couple of mile on motoray best i reached was 27 mpg i was hopeing to get combined 30mpg as i drive 20 miles a day and 16 of those is motorway. ill get this pipe sorted, going to get badger pipe after chatting with some people on here today, good site i like it, very helpfull people around, thanks :)

some of you say your getting better mpg than me and miniturhero, and we have no mods or remap... could a remap improve this for us?
i forgot to say, my maths are not that great, but combining the motorway driving with around town... i put £40 in my tank at £1.37 per litre, which gives me 29.22 litres which is roughly 6 gallons and i got 125 miles out of that driving like a complete granny to save petrol.
most of that was motorway driving to, i would say 20 miles of that is around town.
That totals me to an average of "20.8" MPG... holy..****

I had issues with my Maf and 02 sensor and with those replaced I went from around 300 miles per tank to 400

And for the first few months after a remap expect your mpg to half as its so much fun playing with the throttle and extra power :)

think i must have issues too, as im getting 20.3mpg, i just put 40 in now and says ill get 170miles out of it, but had 40 miles when i went in petrol station.
cant wait to see the back of this car lol,

DIS says between 55-60 mpg by that's down to me running 550cc injectors and not having the setting changed. Anyway I tend to still get 380 miles to a tank of mixed driving but my mrs drives it daily and doesn't thrash it like I do.

If youre getting crap mpg your cars are in bad health. The end.
Standard accounts for nothing, theyl more than often be worse on fuel that cars that have been played with.

If you arent able to get 30mpg ona long trip i think you should look into things imo.

I wasn't quoting it.... I agree with you...:yes:

for some reason it ignored your quote, i thought that was the case. Based on a tank I've seen 430 once thats about 32mpg, you cant really base it on an individual journeys if you hit traffic....game over

35-40 is achieveable on the mortorway

I recently drove to Belgium and back on one tank and that was 513 miles and I got back without the fuel light on, just stick to 55-60 all the time, all motorway.

A modified car (as long as wer'er not talking about modified wheels & brakes only !) is bound to drink more than a standard one. Even if it runs leaner on lower speeds the nature of what you have done will mean you will push it and the fuel will go fast too.

Although this doesn't quite give an answer to your direct question, sorry.

A modified car (as long as wer'er not talking about modified wheels & brakes only !) is bound to drink more than a standard one. Even if it runs leaner on lower speeds the nature of what you have done will mean you will push it and the fuel will go fast too.

Although this doesn't quite give an answer to your direct question, sorry.
i disagree completely. Sorry.

a mapped car, basic tune will be as good if not better. The reason they make more power is down to it being more efficient. Also, the cruise AFRs are probably the same, just stay out of the power band. Simples.

i also think big turbo cars can equal mpg figures of stock or book figures. Easier to stay off boost, cruising around lean. Il hopefully benefit from this. I dont think tuned cars have to be bad on fuel, to an extent i might add!

If youre getting crap mpg your cars are in bad health. The end.
Standard accounts for nothing, theyl more than often be worse on fuel that cars that have been played with.

If you arent able to get 30mpg ona long trip i think you should look into things imo.

I have a split pipe and descovered yesterday I have developed a blow in my exhaust, but this is sort of not relevant as my car has been doing an average of 23.8 mpg since I got it and also had a full service about a month ago and still I cant seem to get the mpg past 24 ifim lucky! So I think I may need to change the MAF and 02 sensor as that seems like a good way forward. If this fails then I guess my car is in bad health then I need to start thinking of other causes ( obviously I will sort out the split pipe and exhaust blow too) .

i disagree completely. Sorry.

a mapped car, basic tune will be as good if not better. The reason they make more power is down to it being more efficient. Also, the cruise AFRs are probably the same, just stay out of the power band. Simples.

i also think big turbo cars can equal mpg figures of stock or book figures. Easier to stay off boost, cruising around lean. Il hopefully benefit from this. I dont think tuned cars have to be bad on fuel, to an extent i might add!

We will have to agree to differ. But surely putting your foot down on both types of cars surely 'modded' will drink more (sure it will go a lot faster) ,but then I can't believe those 2 types of drivers will have the same style of driving..."generally' .

We will have to agree to differ. But surely putting your foot down on both types of cars surely 'modded' will drink more (sure it will go a lot faster) ,but then I can't believe those 2 types of drivers will have the same style of driving..."generally' .

Karl was saying they should be the same off boost. Obviously on boost is a different matter. At te end of the day the 1.8T engine only requires so much fuel and air to cruise along and idle.

i used to have a golf 1.8t and it used to be great on fuel for what is was and it was mapped to 180bhp, i dont often rag my cars but every now and then i like to play/put my foot down and not be challenged by a chavvy saxo... so i want power now and then(if the cars going to shift then i expect to fork out more fuel for my behaviour) but on day-2-day driving i just cruise like a granny.
times like that i want alot better fuel consumption at least 30+ on motorway.

p.s - ill stop moaning and get my pipe repaired and lambdas fitted... + service and we'll see then :) lol

Average for me 50/50 driving on motorway and round town stop start stuff is about 27-28mpg

all short journeys round town with some fun here and there is 25mpg or less

80mph on the motorway in good traffic is 32ishmpg (this of course could go up if I did 55-60mph)

Which I think is quite good for these cars as they are 10+ years old now

When I accelerate hard, I can get 7 mpg on Revo Stage 1! On a warm day it's about 16 mpg and normal driving about 23 mpg.

If you want mpg get a diesel. a newish mapped diesel car has a lot of power and good mpg. but also boring as hell. at the end of the day an s3 isnt made for good mpg, its made to put a smile on your face. i completely understand that if your car isnt getting the mpg its ment to, its a pain in the ***. but lugging a 1.5 ton car around with a 1.8t engine isnt going to be cheap on fuel no matter how modded or how you drive it. and i completly agree that the fuel gauge does tend to move towards the empty position rather quickly. but as quoted above these cars are 10+ years old so compared with other cars of there time i dont think there too bad on fuel. but thats just me. if mine was my daily driver i would prob see it differently.

by the way mine gets around 32 - 37 on a run and 15 - 20 when having some fun.

If you want mpg get a diesel. a newish mapped diesel car has a lot of power and good mpg. but also boring as hell. at the end of the day an s3 isnt made for good mpg, its made to put a smile on your face. i completely understand that if your car isnt getting the mpg its ment to, its a pain in the ***. but lugging a 1.5 ton car around with a 1.8t engine isnt going to be cheap on fuel no matter how modded or how you drive it. and i completly agree that the fuel gauge does tend to move towards the empty position rather quickly. but as quoted above these cars are 10+ years old so compared with other cars of there time i dont think there too bad on fuel. but thats just me. if mine was my daily driver i would prob see it differently.

by the way mine gets around 32 - 37 on a run and 15 - 20 when having some fun.

I totaly agree with what your saying but I was wondering what a gppd average milage is as mine just too bad even fpr what mine is but as I said I have a few leaks I.e exhaust blow and split pvc pipe so that probably dpnt help in the slitest lol . Infact im starting to think mine aint that bad as I just went fpr a little poodle around town and I reset the mpg before I set off and I managed to get it up to 26.1 with my current state I dont think that is bad at all! :yes:

miniturhero - what pcv pipe have you got split? the pipe I got split is the return hose from the rocker cover which goes to the intake hose (its completely come away, massive whole in intake pipe).

About 24mpg long term average, 32 is on a run if driving like miss daisy.

miniturhero - what pcv pipe have you got split? the pipe I got split is the return hose from the rocker cover which goes to the intake hose (its completely come away, massive whole in intake pipe).

I have a picture it snapped shortly after I bought it so I did a temporary repair to get me by and low and behold it snapped again but this time it needs replacing I want to know it you can get it in silicone if so I will buy a black full silicone kit to try and keep the oem look of the bay.
image_01_zps39c51f7a.png

Miniturhero - did you get this pipe sorted in the end (circled red) ?

hi all, just an update i drove to devon and back this weekend and i got 370 miles out of a FULL tank, that was cruise control at 60-70mph the miles are based on 95% motorway... does that seem bad to anyone???