Forge or Badger 5 Intake hose (TiP) for audi s3 8L ??

muff1991

Need More Boost!
Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the site, im after a bit of advice... im still slowly finding my way around so please bare with me if i have or done anything wrong, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I need a new intake hose for my s3 225 Bam, the small return hose from the rocker cover has split from the turbo inlet hose, there no decent way i could repair it and i want it fixed fast as someone said i will be loseing power through this.

ive owned my s3 for 3 weeks now and i was a little dissapointed in the power when i brought it if im honest, i also have my engine management light on... vag scanner tells me its both lambda sensors (post & Pre cat) im cant believe the MPG either im getting around 24 mpg on motorway driving like a granny everywere.. :-( the car is totally standard, not one mod done to it...

so... my question is, which inlet hose do you think is better or worth getting...

The forge one -
Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

or the badger 5 -
V3 BADGER 5 SILICONE 80mm K04 TIP S3 / TT / LEON CUPRA R (with clips) | eBay

or do i just buy another standard one? when funds let me i will be looking at remapping it with an air filter and hoping to reach the 260BHP mark, as i want it to pin me in my seat a bit.

Is this possible and what pipe should i get?

any advice will be helpfull please, sorry if this has also been covered before i dont know my way around just yet.

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. I will move this post to the 8l section where the boys will advise you. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Badger 5, no question. Get a Jetex filter while you're there. Should perk it up a bit :) Made a nice difference to mine in both sound and poke. Dyno proven too.

thanks it works out cheaper too, do i need the metal thing for the end aswell? hope you know what i mean, the jetex filter... is that panel or k&n Style?

If you by a v2 TIP you get the metal billet as this is part of the product... if you buy the v3 then you don't as its designed as a straight fit..

<tuffty/>

I'd personally buy the badger 5 V2.2, with the heatshield and filter. He does them as a kit, and it makes a huge imporvement over standard, especially once mapped

so should i go for the v3 as i suppose this is ment to be the latest revised one??
What you think about lambda sensors being shot, you think this would reduce my power along with the split hose combineing me with ultra crap mpg?

so should i go for the v3 as i suppose this is ment to be the latest revised one??
What you think about lambda sensors being shot, you think this would reduce my power along with the split hose combineing me with ultra crap mpg?

V3 is fine... its designed to be a bit cheaper but no less effective... billet version is a 'premium' version that has better 'flow' into the turbo as the billet piece is designed to do that...

As for your MPG... I would scan for fault codes, fix all split pipes and leaks (smoke test is ideal to find those) and then see where you are... no point in throwing money at sensors you think are faulty... only spend money on stuff you know is faulty... never gonna get there unless you know the rest of the stuff is right...

What are the actual fault codes? always post the actual fault codes when asking for help as they may not mean what you think they do...

<tuffty/>

your mpg will be related to the lambda's not working properly... and more than likely air leaks from other split hoses usually associated with pcv system under the inlet manifold... Look for oily covered pipes there will be a split pipe close by

as for tIP............... :)

but I am biased of course - haha

Reactions: Tj 0785, sssline and Sandra
Buy once... buy the B5 tip.
I am unlucky and the B5 wasnt available so i bought the forge...
I now need to spend again to see the gains talked about.

from Bill funny enough, seen his name around ;-)

If it has Bill's name on it, you are getting the best. Bill wont put his name to something that he has not tried and tested. :) x

Reactions: badger5
hi all again,
i brought and fitted the v3 badger tip in the end (few months ago), i noticed on the tip when i took off it was split where it meets the turbo (think someone might have over tightened the juberlee), it didnt make alot of difference to power after fitting the new pipe so the split couldnt have been that bad, never posted pic on here before so i hope it comes out ok, if you can see in the pic the hole where the return hose has split off and you can just see the split where it meets the turbo.
the 2 fault codes i keep getting are -
ive looked these up on ross wiki website thing and i cant make heads or tail of it, i just want to know are the sensors ok? or which one or maybe both are ******** (B1 S2) i think it means bank 1 sensor 2 but not sure.
ive checked the wireing to the post cat lambda and all seems to be fine, the sensor is pretty much just wedged in the exhaust tho, i put a 22mm spanner on it and turned it and the sensor just fell out, the thread in the exhaust is ok nothings broken sheerd or snaped but there is only 1 turn of a thread on the sensor, could this be my problem? its not hanging out like.
my car is DRINKING fuel and i dont feel im getting the power gains i should be to the fuel its using, i know people in scoobys who are getting better mpg than me lol.
just doesnt seem to be anything noticeably wrong with the car??
any help or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.
thanks,
20130927 185548

where could i get a smoke test done, do most garages do it? The pipes in the pic attached (which i borrowed from someones thread, thanks) the circled yellow one was all flat and perished so i put some bodges hose on but its kinked flat so i need to get that done but cant find a part number, and the circled red one is also broken in 2 places all the way down to the pcv valve, i have bodges that quite well for now.
Optimized untitled23

Hi, i too have an S3 with a BAM engine that drank fuel.. My problems were a split hose under the inlet mani... Its pretty much inline with the dipstick underneath (a real pain in the bottom) its a little 90' bend and it had split at the elbow and a stuck open thermostat which i think was making it overfuel slightly. Hope this helps.

thank you all for your replies.

Dan - yes it is the exact pipe i need mines done exactly what yours has done in the pic, in the pic with the new hose on... is that a genuine part? it looks solid and not kinked i want one :) you know were i could get one and price please?

Cammage08 - thanks for the advice, ill definatly have a look at the pipe under the inlet, i done a full service 2 months ago apart from brake fluid and coolant as they both looked fine. ill have a good overhaul under the bonnet and check all hoses & pipes when i get a minute.
thanks.

Hi guys sorry to bump an old thread!
Badger5 looks the place to go from what I read.. But I can't find anything really about the APR version available on awesomegti and elsewhere.
Anybody ever used one or know what they're using, other than their name, to justify the price tag?
Cheers for any help
Jamie

I'm also going to make the assumption you've never had experience with this particular one...

Looks like its just a silicon version of the std one dude like most of the other silicon 'replacements'..

Badger5 is an 80mm TIP and actually adds power...

<tuffty/>

Cheers bud I see what you're saying diameter/shape wise!
Was just curious really, not much to read about them on our cars anywhere so wondered if it was a hidden gem or just overpriced rubber..
Think I'll be sticking to the Badger5 ;) seems the foolproof bet.
It'll be going onto my standard, non-fettled airbox with pipercross panel filter... Are there big advantages to be had by making a D.I.Y cold air feed similar to what you did in your build? I have standard smic's currently too.
Cheers for the help so far mate!
Jamie

Cold air feeds on turbo cars are a little bit of a myth to be honest but if using the OE airbox like I did then its a good idea to open the intake bit as its quite small as std..

I don't have a cold air feed any more as obviously the build has changed a little since I did that

<tuffty/>

The APR one has an extra pipe doesn't it, is that for non ESP versions?

There should be N75, DV, Breather and the other one near the turbo end with the screw in probe. I just fitted the V3 myself this week, I am not sure if they are better, worse or simply a bit cheaper than the v2.2 because of the lack of the billet, it would be interesting to know if the v2.2 last longer because they have less of a size change at the turbo end.

When I was researching there seemed to be quite a few complaints about other peoples oversized TIPs lacking ease when fitting or being less than top quality.

I had noticed yours had changed 'a little' tuffty Haha. But cheers, if I can find a VERY tidy looking way of doing it, I'll give it a go at some point!
Stuart, I hadn't counted the stems from the APR one but you might be right, I guess it caters for all the compatible 1.8t variants?
If it were cheaper I'd get both and see what differences I could feel once fitted but at over 200quid I think I'll play it safe.

Non ESP have the same number of outlets its just that the N75 (and PCV iirc) are on opposite sides requiring some extra parts to make them reach.

I very much doubt that the APR will give anything power wise... silicon TIP's like this are a replacement to the OE one and are more durable and don't collapse when hot like the std rubber one... The Badger5 one was developed to remove intake restrictions and actually gives on average 10-15hp gains from just 'bolting' on.... this is why companies have copied it....

<tuffty/>

Badger5 it is.
Had a mate fit one to his last week, he said the difference was night and day!
Just thought I'd consider my options before diving in (already knowing the Badger5 reputation)
Cheers for all your help!
Jamie

So when I get the TIP I'll also order some ducting for a custom cold air feed..
Would you say, tuffty, that 4" would be a bit overkill on a car I'm only looking for around 300bhp on? Or would 80mm diameter (to match the pipework) stuff be plenty adequate?
I want a good balance between maximum intake without being unnecessary, and being as well hidden as possible for the stealth look in the bay.
Cheers for any advice guys.
Jamie

I used 4" on mine but its a tight fit to get it past the battery let alone drop it into the bumper space... 3" would be easier but still be mindful of where you put it as you don't want it low enough to suck up water and end up hydrolocking the engine

<tuffty/>

I'd definitely be bearing that in mind, had a carbonio setup on my old AGU mk4 gti and had a couple of scary moments on dark roads and deep puddles (much coughing and spluttering from the old girl but she was a trooper and powered on)
Wouldn't want to run the same risk on a higher powered car so positioning would be well thought out.
I reckon I'll go for the smaller diameter if you're agreeing it's not necessarily worth having big stuff!
Cheers again, good man!
Jamie

I just fitted the V3 myself this week, I am not sure if they are better, worse or simply a bit cheaper than the v2.2 because of the lack of the billet, it would be interesting to know if the v2.2 last longer because they have less of a size change at the turbo end.
I made the v3 as a lower cost version for those who did'nt want to buy the billet version.
The billet remains the best on paper for uninterrupted flow etc but in dyno testing its very hard to tell them apart on normal k04 cars..

Longevity is going to be identical... obviously

SFS also do an equally good 80mm TIP, might be worth looking in to. They were £120 last time I bought one