BAM S3 full rebuild for Hybrid or BT

Well look what turned up while I was in Saudi:)
BBT Hybrid KO4

Just waiting for a Relentless V3 exhaust manifold to come up for sale if any one knows one:)

I have a Relentless V2 (better than v3) for sale if you are interested - pm me :)

Surely the sensible choice for anyone fitting a ko4 of any type in the near future is to wait for Bills new manifold in the new year?

It's only a few weeks away, and hopefully will be the answer we've all been looking for!

Reactions: chaz20vt
Prawn that's my plan as I didn't know Bill had one being developed while I was on the hunt for a V3

Prawn that's my plan as I didn't know Bill had one being developed while I was on the hunt for a V3

1476174_469485709836186_105698509_n.jpg

Reactions: Westy
Well its been a while since i updated this Thread so here is the run down.
(Moderators my web browser keeps crashing so getting bored of copying all this over and over again so am posting in multiple pages, I'm not trying to get my post count up lol cheers)

Ive put the RS4 alloys onto the Skud missile (Mk1 octavia 4x4 1.8t on Shark stage1 map) for those who dont know it and got me some Rota Grid Drifts 9.5X18" all round with 225 yokohama Parada Spec2 rubber and it stretches bang on for the Stance point of view.

Needed spacers tho running a 9.5 lol

Also fitted Bills High flow cast mani with large port mod and BBT stage4 hybrid KO4 also with large port mod.
Here is the large ported stage4 Hybrid vs oem

Bills ported section KO4 vs oem KO4

And Bills large ported mani vs oem

Reactions: IPG
Did have some problems with the EGT port not being machined correctly, basically the port was drilled too deep and didn't allow the crush washer on the egt probe to be held tight so a M5 copper washer takes up the slack and holds the probe secure.

You can fit the turbo and mani with the head on but seeing as i run the ARP stud kit for the main and head it`ll only cost me a gasket to pull the head as you can reuse the stud kit and its a ****e load easier to complete.

And a small tip...make sure the wells are dry for the head bolts as if there's fluid like oil or coolant in the well the bolts when torqued down will pressurize the fluid and crack the block, with a stud kit its not so much a problem as the stud is only screwed in hand tight.

Alingment marks for the 3" down pipe to clear the prop damper and dp flexi joint, this was a feeker as the Pipe Werx didn't have elongated bolt holes for the KO4 hot side to the dp flange the first time i fitted every thing back together and was rubbing:( but all solved with a bit of a CNC and jiggery pokerie lol

Nuns **** for clearance springs to mind, would appear the new mani has brought the dp over to the right a couple mm and was rubbing the first time i fitted every back together but this is as best as i can get without making a custom spacer gasket for the KO4 hotside to dp flange to push it back over to the left where it was before.

So the Blocks back together.......for now lol (bigger plans to come)

Last edited:
Now to replace that tiny front mount intercooler as its way way to small for the flow i`ll be producing lol.

Most people mount the fmic on the slam panel but looked shoody to me so I made a custome frame to carry the new Monster fmic

And then to pressure test for leaks.

My Custom boost system testers

And the frame made fitting the bumper back a piece of cake but did take a while with finding the best position.

Reactions: snowy and Westy
Still to wire up the Water Meth Injection and weld on the injector bung onto the fmic exit elbow tho, half way through it now but off shore in Saudi doesn't help

Also vcds flagged up a DTC not supported or comms error with the Haldex coupling for the Quattro system and found this, a snapped Haldex earth strap due to corrosion.

And surprise surprise the Skud missile had the same error message and snapped earth strap, once sorted the DTC clears:)
Easy to fix with a batt earth cable wrapped in electrical tape, this is the Skuds below, the rusty exhaust kinda gives it away and different back box but who`s being picky anyway lol.

Also heat wrapped the 3" down pipe and sports cat, even tho i soaked it in water over night it still itched the ****e outta me lol

Reactions: snowy
Looking really good mate!! Very interested in this keep the updates coming!!!
Whens it being mapped?

Well that's the problem...Bills backed up till June and i work offshore a lot and don't get much in notice nor is it rotation by any means least so its basically who ever can fit me in next month, be it Shark, Niki, or just wait for Bill, but i`ll just get bored at looking at a S3 i cant really drive on actuator and probably pull the engine and re-bore / stroker it while i wait for bill lol.......who knows

Really nice work, congratulations.
Probably you will have the engine with more power with a hybrid.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoffmanvp3
Haven't updated my ASN in quite a while so here goes..

Just before the Badger5 trip was thinking it'll be wise to uprate the brakes as the standard ones are ok if your grannies driving but not for what I have in mind lol
So that being said a nice set of D3 360mm 6pot set up shall suffice:)

#

Didn't take long to bed in, running fast road pads as not planning on sending her into a track day gravel trap lol
And coming from my Mk1 Octavia 4x4 1.8t20v which already has the S3 brake upgrade I almost put myself through the S3 wind shield when using the new brakes for the first time lmao.
And when I go back to the Octy I barely stop due to the little brake travel required in the S3, so a little caution required me thinks.

In addition to installing the wmi kit i've installed a pressure gauge post solenoid valve to confirm what pressure the water meth pump is running at for tweaking during mapping as standard setting iirc is 200psi. it can go as low as 150psi or as high as 250psi.

Lovin the 2 piece goodness, not even heard of that set up for the S3 tbh.

So the Badger5 trip begins, now most people would drive there car down for mapping but due to fitting the Hybrid KO4 without a map I was running off actuator pressure as I've disconnected the N75 valve as I didn't want to damage the motor but this almost makes the car very difficult to over take etc etc so hired a self drive transporter and used there clutch so to speak lol

Took the missus with me as I had booked us a nice little hotel in the Cotswolds as I was due to treat the missus from all the time I spent away off shore and working on the S3 car and other customers so quite literally 2 birds with 1 stone, as this'll give Bill plenty time to up rev his mani and map and do some making up to the missus:)

Very happy with the end results, but wasn't easy due to the rr being 30+C and having to wait for the motor to cool, even with water meth and 3 massive fans and Mark spraying water on the huge fmic. Very interesting point Bill pointed out was the brand of water meth I was using which is just VAG concentrate screen wash which claims to be up to 49% meth 49% water and rest cleaner and fragrance. Not idle due to the heat of the rr so Bill made up his own water meth mix which is virgin grade meth 99.85 or there about's and a little of the stuff I had supplied for colour and she accepted another 2 more degrees of timing and another couple bhp but also ait's and egt's respectively.
Consequently I know make up my own mix from a local supplier of 99.85% meth and it really does make a difference running proper meth.
By no means am I slagging the company that supplies lots of people across the UK with there own water meth mix as it does do a good job but there's always room for improvement but at the end of the day its a compromise.

And here is the proof of Bills v2 mani producing the goods...low egt's VS power on the highest map 347BHP

865-885'c typically peak and after 3 back to back runs, just crept into 900'c compare that with other set-ups and stage 1&2 std k04 cars which will be getting to the egt protection threshold if 920 frequently whilst making considerably less power, all credit to Bills mani:)

So 347BHP and 296FtIbs which i very pleasing from all the hard graft, particularly that the BAM is still on standard bore @ 116K just with new rings.
Bills rr is very conservative with power, in particular the torque which looks a little low (realistic -16% than actual) but on the road there's no shortage of it lol.

So I leave with 5 map selectable software and really makes this a proper B road weapon

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty_24, superkarl, Nath1790 and 2 others
Well good morning Chap's and Chape'ss.
Been a while since I updated my build thread, Plus being made redundant from the oil and gas which consequently gave me more time developing my garage business and fettling the car, commonly refereed to as the MKS Machine lol.
Will see if I can resurrect my photobucket account and upload what's been happening since iv'e been off air:)

Reactions: mark_S3 and Rainbird
Because its been such a while since i last updated my ASN post not all pics are going to be in order lol but here goes...

Well since my first trip to Badger5 for its initial map I've fitted dual port wmi and now running 100% meth which should make a lot more power and further reduce ait's and egt's but more importantly lower cylinder temps.

Initial tests of the dual port set-up, DO3 post fmic and DO1 post throttle body proved very impressive, like frost on the inlet mani which is becoming a pain due to paint cracking lol.
My first attempt at making a meth plate for the throttle body was a bit rushed as i was on a deadline to get back to B5 for map adjustment but have also made a triple pod gauge holder in the centre air vents to allow me to monitor meth pressure, boost pressure and oil pressure.

Another log *** drive back to sunny Gloucestershire from Aberdeen but totally worth it when the car made another 20BHP (cant remember Ib/Ft increase) once Bill did a few runs, now 370BHP 364Ib/Ft making her the UK's most powerful hybrid KO4 8L S3.

Once back from B5 i sorted the meth plate to allow a better spray pattern as it was pooling on the side walls as the injector didn't sit far enough inside the plate.
Basically made a thicker one and made a counter bore to clear the injectors hex body.

Now with a dual port set-up she certainly drinks the meth at a rapid rate so decided to get a bigger 2.25gal race baffled tank to improve range an reduce the risk of running out but also moved the batt to the boot to help free up space in the engine bay to allow me to re design the map tube boost pipe work as i wasn't happy with the crummy plastic tat lol

Calculating how much meth will be in reserve when he float sinks and warns me of low meth level.

Don't worry bungee cord was replaced with a proper stray lol

Reactions: superkarl
Shortly after that the so called "sports cat" that comes with the Piperwerx 3" DP died which gave me an excuse to fit a BIGGER one, 5" should do it lol.
One that would allow me run a "decat map" and not restrict flow, not waning to be caught without a cat particularly when my company is plastered all over my car.

I bought a AEB head a while back on the pretences i would be going BT eventually so went about rebuilding that with Supertech inconel/nitrate single groove valve train with HD springs, double exthaust springs single inlet.
Even managed to rope in the wife for lapping:)

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/hoffman05/media/20150604_233016_RichtoneHDR_zps2y0zaau9.jpg.html

20150604_233016_RichtoneHDR_zps2y0zaau9.jpg
[/URL]

Hydraulics overhauled

And now to swap over the cams and chain tensioner from the BAM head to the AEB

Reactions: jimmcgee and limbo118118
Andrew's old AEB xcessive oversized inlet manifold popped up for sale so who was i to pass up the sale lol.
Did require a different paint job, as not to my liking lol.

And relocated the occ to where the batt tray used to be.

Although curious to see what top end gains could be achieved with the oversized inlet manifold over the stock size even thought its on a KO4 hybrid i fitted the manifold, this proved to be a bad idea as midrange torque was lost but felt quite sprightly top end but suspect this was a placebo and quickly removed the manifold and replaced with the stock.

And this is how she stands today.

Managed to get the old girl in Audi Tuner mag back in October, certainly looks the part if i do say so myself lol:)

Then someone gave me the idea of doing a engine transplant instead of going BT with the 1.8t which i thought would never happen, then about a month ago a Mk3 12v VR6 engine became available only 20miles away and best part was it was free to take away!!
Once i had a look about the engine i discovered this was a very rare block destined for the states but was from a UK Mk3 golf as it had both Mk3 and Mk4 engine mounts cast into the block, the US were the only country to get the 12v VR6 in the Mk4 platform, the Jetta and the 12v VR6 has a stronger bottom end to the more commonly R32 engine transplant so you could imagine my face lol.
This build will be put into motion when cash becomes available due to the garage running slow this time of year and founds are low:(
So in the mean time its RnD time into standalone ecus and Turbos
The aim is 1000BHP and possibly the worlds first 12v VR6 powered 8L S3....

Reactions: superkarl and Rainbird
Great update! Nice pics as well.
Interesting to see your feedback on inlet manifold as I am about to fit my 034Motorsport one.