BAM S3 full rebuild for Hybrid or BT

I will be interested in what you find out with the relentless thing.. Will you post up what you find?

i work in the oil and gas so getting these service is kinda easy for me plus my brother being a machinist i can get him to skim if its needed but of course i will post my findings Bill:)

with all the best will in the world, you could go to town on checking / reinforcing the welds on the relentless, but half of them crack across the wall of the pipe where the material is thinner due to the bending process :(

Reactions: superkarl
Don`t they double butt these tubular`s?
Guess that's wishful thinking lol but for the price you cant complain, besides if it does crack i`ve got a few guys i know who can fabricate an exact copy of this with heavier tubular`s. Maybe a Titanium version and sell my own copy :thumbsup:

I suggest you do some more reading up dude... Relentless 'issues' are pretty well discussed on this forum (and others)

<tuffty/>

Don`t they double butt these tubular`s?
Guess that's wishful thinking lol but for the price you cant complain, besides if it does crack i`ve got a few guys i know who can fabricate an exact copy of this with heavier tubular`s. Maybe a Titanium version and sell my own copy :thumbsup:

If you use heavier wall tube, then you either have reduced flow capacity, or trouble making it, so that it fits. Titanium would be rubbish as well as its stiffer even than stainless so would be more prone to cracking

Oh i did read up on them and are renowned for fitting issues but they say the V3 is better, if you believe that lol
AUDI TT S3 STAINLESS RACE MANIFOLD AND DOWNPIPE COMBO version3 | eBay

With modifying cars there's always gonna be bumps in the road, pun intended lol but if your modding your car and are worried if things will crack, break down, not fit or need a slight tweak then maybe you should stick to taking the bus to work as this come with the territory.
You never know, My manifold lottery could be fine with mine, who`s to say my manifold needs a opening up? Fine as the 5 axis CNC my brother uses at work will sort it or i`ll make a Titanium version as its cheap to butcher the V3.
Plus Tubular manis look cool as feck and probably provide more power which is the point in up grading the mani in the first place:)

Oh i did read up on them and are renowned for fitting issues but they say the V3 is better, if you believe that lol
AUDI TT S3 STAINLESS RACE MANIFOLD AND DOWNPIPE COMBO version3 | eBay

With modifying cars there's always gonna be bumps in the road, pun intended lol but if your modding your car and are worried if things will crack, break down, not fit or need a slight tweak then maybe you should stick to taking the bus to work as this come with the territory.
You never know, My manifold lottery could be fine with mine, who`s to say my manifold needs a opening up? Fine as the 5 axis CNC my brother uses at work will sort it or i`ll make a Titanium version as its cheap to butcher the V3.
Plus Tubular manis look cool as feck and probably provide more power which is the point in up grading the mani in the first place:)
You do know its probably the head off every time a mani goes down with the associated cost? unless you have the patience and double jointed-ness...

Yes i`ve considered that too but its a associated risk i`m willing to take on.
And the cost to me will be peanuts as it`ll be me that`s taking that head off, Plus my Octy 4x4 will get my around while the heads off

£200quid a time for genuine at retail? £180ish on trade. Unless you get some cheap crap from euros or something.

Whats that proving?

We all know they flow well. Then we found out the V2 flowed even better because they compromised the flow trying to make it stronger and more reliable. Now the V2 manifolds are sought after massively. The V3 has to be ported too ideally.

Still doesnt dispute the fact they`ll crack and they`re a tw&t to fit.

i work in the oil and gas so getting these service is kinda easy for me plus my brother being a machinist i can get him to skim if its needed but of course i will post my findings Bill:)

can you confirm material spec in your NDT access?

as said by others, the most common crack area is the tube collector outlet thru the material itself.. (outside of bend and thin from bending process)

Reactions: vroomtshh

as said by others, the most common crack area is the tube collector outlet thru the material itself.. (outside of bend and thin from bending process)

Why do you need to know this?
As suspected this is turning into a slagging completion and i can`t be ***** answering every ones "trick " questions

Moderators you may as well delete this thread as its ****ed now
Cheers guys

I'm not sure you can confirm the material spec by NDT. I can ask the mettalurgists at work tomorrow though

As suspected this is turning into a slagging completion and i can`t be ***** answering every ones "trick " questions

Cheers guys

How is that a trick question?

If material A were claimed made to a spec, which was supposed to withstand X degrees for example, and it was found to be failling, it would be rather interesting to see if Material A was infact what it was claimed to be, or possibly a lower grade, which might explain an unexpected failure rate....

Not everyone is out to get you dude....

Cheers guys

eh? Trick questions???
Whats trick about it?

Relentless claim Ti induced 321 stainless material

curious as to that being the case
thats why I asked

Well the day has come. Finally got started on pulling the engine outta the S3.
So far i haven't needed to drill any seized bolts but am not holding my breath lol

Drive shaft bolts was a pita to remove but did come out in one piece:)

And this is where i left off today.
Is it necessary to remove the sub frame to get access to the prop shaft bolts?
Cheers

Just three bolts... access is from the tunnel... just have to jam something up between the prop flange and the tranfer box while you undo them... awkward but not difficult..

<tuffty/>

Cheers for the reference Dave
Still waiting for IE Tuscan rods and ARP stud kits for the head and main to arrive but got the new OEM oil pump,pick up line, chain tensioner and OEM head gasket.
I'm hoping to get the engine out tomorrow as the drive shafts are already separated and most of the wiring has been tagged for identification and disconnected so it just be gaining access to the prop shaft flange and un bolting and it should fall out lol

Now that i remember i might just remove the sub frame as it could do with a clean and paint as its looking a bit rusty but that will require further work to remove the rack and a few odds n sods

Wells today was another successful days work.
Got the engine out and got the snapped bolt that holds the dog bone to the sub frame as some body must of just reused the old stretch bolts and surprise surprise they snapped when i was taking the dog bone off.
Seems to be a tradition on here so heres a pic of me in the empty engine bay:)

And the crack propagation in the turbo hot side and manifold so thats fit for the bin

Reactions: Westy and s3dave
Lol when I pulled the engine I kept think there's some thing I'm forgetting.....ah yes the engine bay mug shot:)

Reactions: Westy