Intake manifold gasket

ShaunS3

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
Regional Rep
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Symptoms of a blown inlet manifold gasket?

Reasons why an intake manifold gasket would fail?

Cheers, Shaun :)

Last edited:
Boost/ Vac leak would be a sysymptom

why its failed its anyone's guess.
is it old
has it been reused

Boost/ Vac leak would be a sysymptom

why its failed its anyone's guess.
is it old
has it been reused

Probably just age and never been changed in the 130k its covered.

I have noticed the induction note becoming deeper and deeper over the past few weeks, then when starting from cold its started ticking like an exhaust gasket would. That's my theory to date anyhow.

Would an inlet gasket tick like an exhaust gasket when blown?

Also wanted to know if this is quite common on the S3 8L (1.8 20VT)

Shaun.

Last edited:
If the inlet gasket had gone surely it would be sucking in unmetered air and running really rough, maybe try spraying carb cleaner round where the manifold meets the head the engine should speed up if you've got a leak, it's not a big job to take the inlet off only requires basic tools, I would order an inlet gasket and change it

If the inlet gasket had gone surely it would be sucking in unmetered air and running really rough, maybe try spraying carb cleaner round where the manifold meets the head the engine should speed up if you've got a leak, it's not a big job to take the inlet off only requires basic tools, I would order an inlet gasket and change it

It does run a little lumpy when cold tbh, gets a little better when warm. I will have another listen when it's been stood overnight, then try the carb cleaner. I don't mind doing the job myself really, are there any other gaskets/seals i will need as part of removing such as injector 'O' rings etc

Shaun.