s3 piston power ratings? what forged pistons are recommended?

Reaction score
What sort of power level do people start changing their standard pistons at!?

An if you were to change them what do you go for? Makes? Low comp vs high?? Or standad setup?

Im hoping to be running 450bhp so just wondering, I already have forged rods thanks james

Stock pistons are actually made by mahle, and forged too.
Up until his now stroker build Tuffty used stock ones. I am also, 9.5:1 agu pistons.

Choices you have stock, CP, wiseco, JE.

Compression you oight to keep quite high unless going for crazy numbers and V high boost levels. Keeping it high should keep the car more lively off boost and at lower pressures. Aim for 9:1 at least.

id use CP 9.5:1 out of any, theyre well priced and look awesome whilst they can be used as a mantle piece decoration

Reactions: S3Alex
Tuffty was knocking on 450s door at some boost levels.
Theres no reason why with a safe tune they will be absolutely fine.

Only points against oem is that they could be worn, so you'l want some in good condition, which could be hard, and youre obv not going to buy brand new from a dealer, as you may aswell buy aftermarket.

if you were to go on vortex and ask this you'd be bombarded with alloy numbers and people shouting about which pistons are most crap based on 0 experience, and all sorts of meterial specs and expansion rates, because they are all pedantic and will all have opinions of one brand which they deem 'crap' and another they think is amazing.
At the end of the day, whatever you choose, they will do the job and youd never notice a difference between any.

Ok ta! Il have to inspect mine an go from there. Yeh iv being going off goggle and people saying they arnt forged standard to be honest no one ever comes up with an honest answer!

Ok ta! Il have to inspect mine an go from there. Yeh iv being going off goggle and people saying they arnt forged standard to be honest no one ever comes up with an honest answer!

OE pistons are made by Mahle and are forged...

<tuffty/>