S3 ropey handling..

C_Audiboy

Vroom Vroom
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Awright folks,

Over the last month or so I've noticed the handling on my S3 to be a bit 'off' (some will say that's just an S3 being an S3!!!). When going over bumps and 'rough' road surfaces it feels that the rear of the car becomes unsettled very easily. The front feels OK as usual, but it definetely feels like the rear is not as settled and like it wants to go its own way. This is when driving in a stright line too......

I took the car to Glasgow Audi, who after a 2 minute test-drive decided the rear shocks needed replaced. Subsequently, both rear shocks were changed under warranty a few weeks ago. However, I don't think this has solved the issue as it still feels crap.

The condition of the road surfaces do not help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

BTW warranty expires at the end of Jan so I'd like to get this cleared up before then!

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and know of a fix???

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Did they check if the rear ARB(Anti-Roll bar) is sticking?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a quick road test and visual check by Glasgow Audi - they didn't even put it up on a ramp......

The ARBs and bushes were changed about 6 months ago for the famous 'creaking suspension' issue.

I would take it back and ask them to check all the suspension, could it be it's something at the front that your feeling like it's at the back (rubbish description of what I'm on about).

Bushes etc at the front, track rods, ball joints I'd ask them to check the whole lot before the warranty runs out!

Tell them you want the suspension alignment checking out...camber and toe, front and rear...and you'd like to see the full print out to prove it's all within spec.

If the dampers aren't leaking, the springs aren't broken and the tyre pressures are OK...then it should be as good (or bad!...sorry, couldn't resist!) as any S3.

It could be bushes...mine had worn out suspension bushes at under 3 years old...but to be fair, mine had a lot more grip than most, a lot more extreme suspension angles than most and git driven harder than most...but it can happen!

They should check that whilst it's up on the ramp.

Also...remember to book it in for it's first MOT whilst it's still under warranty...that way if any of the bushes are worn - and it fails the MOT (mine did!) - they'll get changed under warranty...then they'll have to do a full 4 wheel alignment!

Cheers guys, that sounds like a plan - I'll get her booked into the dealer in the New Year, and make sure i get that MOT done before the warranty expires!!!

I should have mentioned the car is on extended warranty, so it'll be 4 years this Jan and has done 36k.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My car has been handling odd over the past few months and put it down to the rear tyres (avons!).

They have gone out of shape on the insides which gives the impresion that the wheel baring has gone!

However when I put it up on the ramp, I discovered that the rear passenger side coil spring had snapped!

Got some new eibach ones ready to go on very soon! As Glen says, get the entire suspension checked out to be sure.