may have bought a pig

dinger360

Reaction score
Hi folks, i recently had an accident to which i had a battle getting the money off the insurance. Well i finally went and bought a new one 124,000 absolute red 51 plate s3. all happy at the time of buying noticed it had had a bit of a knock on the passenger side looked like a scrape that had been fixed, paint was slightly flat and a bit of a wobble on the door if you look down the car. bloke said it could do with tracking. Noticed on the way home that i was getting a bit of vibration on the way home fromn about 70 and above i also noticed this at very low speeds although only sometimes if your coasting (not much engine noise) well took it for 4 wheel adjustment and have been told by the chap at dtd worthing who is meant to be pretty good that its had a whack and bent the subframe where the suspension meets it looks like a upside down cats ear if i was to explain it. you could see some large welds beefing it up along the weald thats already there. theres quite a heavy negative camber and its toed in on both sides they have been set up the same ive got a fair bit of wear on the inside of the tyres more the side thats had a whack but id say thats probably down to the camber on the rd plus the neg camber on the wheels. Well he said thats been set up like that to try and hide it and probably best to leave it. He said its probably best to get the wheels balanced so i did they had replica black gloss avus alloys on which he said aint to straight he balanced them to which he said were well out he put 120 grams on the wheel at the back! but still to no avail. ive also just noticed that its got one near enough completly worn pad on the other side at the back yet the other side is fine, could maybe one break be rubbing causing a vibration? im ****** lost, if anyone has any ideas on what to do next that would be great.

hey dave thats the first bit of news ive heard thats positive. would there be a lot of labour involved in changing it? certainly wont be doing it myself.

Brakes are easy, but if you have to pay someone, it can get expensive!

Did your pig come with a case of Redbull to see if it can fly? :laugh:

ive also just noticed that its got one near enough completly worn pad on the other side at the back yet the other side is fine, could maybe one break be rubbing causing a vibration? im ****** lost, if anyone has any ideas on what to do next that would be great.

I expect you have a siezed rear caliper.

Both of mine were siezed but could be saved with a lot of elbow grease and choice words from the mechanic I use.

If you did need a replacement caliper there not the most expensive things to buy new or second hand, but i expect you will have to factor in pads and possibly discs if they are also a bit worse for wear

I expect you have a siezed rear caliper.

Both of mine were siezed but could be saved with a lot of elbow grease and choice words from the mechanic I use.

If you did need a replacement caliper there not the most expensive things to buy new or second hand, but i expect you will have to factor in pads and possibly discs if they are also a bit worse for wear
cheers mate ive got it booked in next thursday with my mechanic, good as gold and cheap! so hopefully he can sort it for me hes not one for making me spend for nothing rather than doing a bit himself. I really hope he can get things sorted because its a lovely looking car. ill get some pictures up of the old snorter later. im hoping the subframe issue wont be to expensive.

damn i saw the title and thought we was having a hog roast at krispy kreme!
subframes an easy fix, good luck with it!

Is the reg SB51...? Saw the car was for sale and was going to look but didn't in the end. See it regularly in Brighton now. Hopefully not too tricky to sort out.

Is the reg SB51...? Saw the car was for sale and was going to look but didn't in the end. See it regularly in Brighton now. Hopefully not too tricky to sort out.

That would be it Aaron, i got it two weeks saturday. got a few things to sort but hopefully it will end up a good little car! you local mate?

Steve.