Need some help. 1.9tdi overheating problem

doublem_1

Reaction score
Ok, my 2002 1.9tdi was overheating, one of the radiator pipes was hot and the other cold which suggested the thermostat. I had this replaced but it's still overheating, the coolant/want is bubbling and the doesn't seem to be any hot air coming through the vents. Can anyone suggest what the issue could be?

How can you tell for sure if it is? My friend had a quick look and said there seemed to be water going back into the reservoir.

Are there any guides on replacing the water pump? Is it DIY?

Was it an original/genuine Thermostat? Cambelt/tensioner should be replaced if doing water pump as well.

try running it without thermostat, if it still overheats you can rule that out.
can you smell carbon in your coolant? if so possible HG failure
temp sensor causes weird problems sometimes- cheap and 2 minute job
check if rad is flowing- either disconnect top and bottom hoses and put hose pipe in top, or squeeze the top pipe and see if you can feel it in the bottom pipe.

cambelt/water pump change is only a diy job if youre pretty competent

Head gaskets are common on these, they nearly always go between cylinder 2 or 3 and the adjacent waterway and you therefore rarely get the mayo tell tale signs in the oil. Under heavy load the high cylinder pressure over pressurises the coolant system and pushes it out the tube on the back of the coolant bottle.

Good diy test for head gasket in these: get car warm one eve (almost up to temp) and then remove coolant reservoir cap to let pressure out. Drive for a bit longer to get fully up to temperature. Then leave the car over night to cool completely. Remove coolant bottle cap and if there is still pressure when its cold it's likely HG failure.