Any s3 owners driven mk5 golf gti

p1tse

Reaction score
Any s3 owners driven mk5 golf gti, what were your thoughts?

I had a quick go in one and thought it was nice, but for a GTI badge lacked a bit of fizz or something special, then again I guess its aimed at a wide range of audience.

Which one feels quicker and more fun even after a remap?

Yep drove a customers one at work on a collection. Didn't feel as quick as the s3. Had a bit of punch as you'd expect from 197bhp. Seats are MUCH more supportive do you feel asthough it handles better.

In terms of mapping Niki seems to get the basic tfsi ko3 to about 250bhp and 300ftlbs. S3 with say b5 tip and filter will map at about 250ish and a shade over that on torque?

I've driven my friends, but it's not really a fair comparison as his had been done up to full stage 2 by APR so it was pretty nippy :)

Drove a bog standard one on the weekend though as the missus is looking to get one. Great chassis and all around good car - bit more modern than the S3 too. Get a pre 2008 one if you can because they are a better spec - I think it's 2008, basically before the facelifting / decosting

My best mate just brought a Standard MK V GTi, and my S3 is APR stage 1

Basically the GTi cant feel the turbo kick like in mine, super smooth power delivery. On a rolling start race through 2nd and 3rd gear I'm 4-5 car lenths ahead of him when I change to 4th. Through corners I just leave him behind, even though he has better tires.
Saying that the GTi would be a much nicer car for a daily with some poke than my S3, and my car is only going to get less comfortable. He is getting an intake and stage 1 tune in a few weeks so can compare the differnece with same engine mods then
IMG 1582

Reactions: p1tse
14nce, nice one. Would be nice to hear of experiences when mods are like for like.
Are you allowed to drive your friends car as would be nice to hear of feel rather than against each other as a split second difference in gear change can mean a length or two on the road and down to conditions, driver, traffic etc. be more interesting from an unbiased view which one you prefer behind the wheel.

Uncomfortable, not too bothered in this sense as the daily second car only does less than 4k a year with work, school, nursery run.
I have a big diesel auto estate to soak up the miles :)

I own an Edition 30

After seven years of S3 ownership its a bit different,I can honestly say it doesn't feel as heavy when on spirited drives,I am happy with it but just need to try and keep my front wheels from spinning :laugh:

Reactions: Nilz, kwistof, Jason.s and 1 other person
14nce, nice one. Would be nice to hear of experiences when mods are like for like.
Are you allowed to drive your friends car as would be nice to hear of feel rather than against each other as a split second difference in gear change can mean a length or two on the road and down to conditions, driver, traffic etc. be more interesting from an unbiased view which one you prefer behind the wheel.

Uncomfortable, not too bothered in this sense as the daily second car only does less than 4k a year with work, school, nursery run.
I have a big diesel auto estate to soak up the miles :)

Yeah Iv driven it, and assume I will in the future. Will report back when he gets a tune etc... But thats probably a month away

Reactions: p1tse
I own an Edition 30

After seven years of S3 ownership its a bit different,I can honestly say it doesn't feel as heavy when on spirited drives,I am happy with it but just need to try and keep my front wheels from spinning :laugh:

I would imagine the ed30 is totally different to the normal gti and have been told its quick, and even quicker with a remap. I would like and ed30 for sure.

Yep drove a customers one at work on a collection. Didn't feel as quick as the s3. Had a bit of punch as you'd expect from 197bhp. Seats are MUCH more supportive do you feel asthough it handles better.

In terms of mapping Niki seems to get the basic tfsi ko3 to about 250bhp and 300ftlbs. S3 with say b5 tip and filter will map at about 250ish and a shade over that on torque?

Niki has had 299.9 out of a k03 tfsi.

Stage 1 is 250/260, stage 2 and HPFP is 270/280. So similar to S3's.

They weigh a ton though.

Mk5>S3 every day.

Yeah i`d only really seen basic stage 1`s with like 250 so thats what i was going by.

Thing is we could bet our houses on you saying MK5 over the S3 so theres not really any need to tell us lol.

Reactions: azman, voorhees and 16Klappe
golf ed30 - v expensive

leon cupra gets my vote personally.... and what i bought. far better value than the golf ed30
golf ed30 tax for the k04 and some badges did'nt seem like good value to me

tfsi is more spritely a motor, BUT, its far better torque is trying to go thru front wheels... and will struggle
one my personal to do list is a diff for mine. no point having torque if all it does is flash the tcs light. quattro wins for thre lower gears on the road traction wise, but power to weight, torque delivery once in 3rd and beyond, tfsi pulls much harder.

350bhp from stage 2 level without maxing anything too hard makes for a rapid car

Reactions: voorhees and p1tse
I had a MKV GTI a while ago. They're great cars to live with but disappointing in standard form. I had it re mapped at Morego (BBR) and it came alive especially with the DSG. Fantastic car.
I test drive a MKV R32 before I sold the GTI and it was heavy and not as agile as the GTI. If you're going to get one save and by a ED30.