• 4 Post By voorhees
  • 1 Post By 14nce
  • 3 Post By Jason.s
  • 2 Post By badger5

Thread: Any s3 owners driven mk5 golf gti

4th Gear

Status

Any s3 owners driven mk5 golf gti

Any s3 owners driven mk5 golf gti, what were your thoughts?

I had a quick go in one and thought it was nice, but for a GTI badge lacked a bit of fizz or something special, then again I guess its aimed at a wide range of audience.

Which one feels quicker and more fun even after a remap?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Yep drove a customers one at work on a collection. Didn't feel as quick as the s3. Had a bit of punch as you'd expect from 197bhp. Seats are MUCH more supportive do you feel asthough it handles better.

In terms of mapping Niki seems to get the basic tfsi ko3 to about 250bhp and 300ftlbs. S3 with say b5 tip and filter will map at about 250ish and a shade over that on torque?

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

3rd Gear

Status
    I've driven my friends, but it's not really a fair comparison as his had been done up to full stage 2 by APR so it was pretty nippy

Drove a bog standard one on the weekend though as the missus is looking to get one. Great chassis and all around good car - bit more modern than the S3 too. Get a pre 2008 one if you can because they are a better spec - I think it's 2008, basically before the facelifting / decosting

Neutral

Status
    My best mate just brought a Standard MK V GTi, and my S3 is APR stage 1

Basically the GTi cant feel the turbo kick like in mine, super smooth power delivery. On a rolling start race through 2nd and 3rd gear I'm 4-5 car lenths ahead of him when I change to 4th. Through corners I just leave him behind, even though he has better tires.
    Saying that the GTi would be a much nicer car for a daily with some poke than my S3, and my car is only going to get less comfortable. He is getting an intake and stage 1 tune in a few weeks so can compare the differnece with same engine mods then
    IMG_1582.jpg
    p1tse likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    14nce, nice one. Would be nice to hear of experiences when mods are like for like.
    Are you allowed to drive your friends car as would be nice to hear of feel rather than against each other as a split second difference in gear change can mean a length or two on the road and down to conditions, driver, traffic etc. be more interesting from an unbiased view which one you prefer behind the wheel.

Uncomfortable, not too bothered in this sense as the daily second car only does less than 4k a year with work, school, nursery run.
    I have a big diesel auto estate to soak up the miles

Status
    I own an Edition 30

After seven years of S3 ownership its a bit different,I can honestly say it doesn't feel as heavy when on spirited drives,I am happy with it but just need to try and keep my front wheels from spinning
    Nilz, s3dave, Jason.s and 1 others like this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by p1tse View Post
    14nce, nice one. Would be nice to hear of experiences when mods are like for like.
    Are you allowed to drive your friends car as would be nice to hear of feel rather than against each other as a split second difference in gear change can mean a length or two on the road and down to conditions, driver, traffic etc. be more interesting from an unbiased view which one you prefer behind the wheel.

Uncomfortable, not too bothered in this sense as the daily second car only does less than 4k a year with work, school, nursery run.
    I have a big diesel auto estate to soak up the miles
    Yeah Iv driven it, and assume I will in the future. Will report back when he gets a tune etc... But thats probably a month away
    p1tse likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    I own an Edition 30

After seven years of S3 ownership its a bit different,I can honestly say it doesn't feel as heavy when on spirited drives,I am happy with it but just need to try and keep my front wheels from spinning
    I would imagine the ed30 is totally different to the normal gti and have been told its quick, and even quicker with a remap. I would like and ed30 for sure.

Status
    Yes

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Yep drove a customers one at work on a collection. Didn't feel as quick as the s3. Had a bit of punch as you'd expect from 197bhp. Seats are MUCH more supportive do you feel asthough it handles better.

In terms of mapping Niki seems to get the basic tfsi ko3 to about 250bhp and 300ftlbs. S3 with say b5 tip and filter will map at about 250ish and a shade over that on torque?
    Niki has had 299.9 out of a k03 tfsi.

Stage 1 is 250/260, stage 2 and HPFP is 270/280. So similar to S3's.

They weigh a ton though.

Mk5>S3 every day.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

6th Gear

Status
    Yeah i`d only really seen basic stage 1`s with like 250 so thats what i was going by.

Thing is we could bet our houses on you saying MK5 over the S3 so theres not really any need to tell us lol.
    voorhees, 16Klappe and azman like this.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

6th Gear

Status
    Edition 30 has the Mk2 S3 engine therefore capable of 330bhp ish
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy199 View Post
    Edition 30 has the Mk2 S3 engine therefore capable of 330bhp ish
    Edition 30 has the Edition 30 engine...And was released almost an entire year before the 8P S3.

330bhp? Try 400.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

RIP S3dave

Status
    golf ed30 - v expensive

leon cupra gets my vote personally.... and what i bought. far better value than the golf ed30
    golf ed30 tax for the k04 and some badges did'nt seem like good value to me

tfsi is more spritely a motor, BUT, its far better torque is trying to go thru front wheels... and will struggle
    one my personal to do list is a diff for mine. no point having torque if all it does is flash the tcs light. quattro wins for thre lower gears on the road traction wise, but power to weight, torque delivery once in 3rd and beyond, tfsi pulls much harder.

350bhp from stage 2 level without maxing anything too hard makes for a rapid car
    p1tse and voorhees like this.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

1st Gear

Status
    I had a MKV GTI a while ago. They're great cars to live with but disappointing in standard form. I had it re mapped at Morego (BBR) and it came alive especially with the DSG. Fantastic car.
    I test drive a MKV R32 before I sold the GTI and it was heavy and not as agile as the GTI. If you're going to get one save and by a ED30.