Dual mass or Solid mass flywheel???

S3_chris 11

Reaction score
Whats the difference or the best for an s3? Someone's told me solid for a stage 1or2+, but many garages have told me because the s3 engine has more torque it will shed the solid one within 500 miles so its best replacing it with what its got.

Help is appreciated and advice is 100% needed

Nowt wrong with dual mass... I run one on mine with a paddle plate and no issues at all... mines a little more than stage 1/2.... lol

Load of crap about the single mass too... if 500hp + 1.8t's can survive on a SMF then I am sure your remapped K04 can manage

No such thing as 'whats best' as this is subject to intended use and how you drive plus ultimately power...

I use a DMF, std clutch pressure cover and Sachs paddle plate... thats with 400hp and 320ftlbs torque... its fine as a daily and won't crap itself if you do the odd launch..

<tuffty/>

I've had my SMF on for over 5000 miles now and the only issue I had was it blew my gearbox up after the first 200 miles as she was clearly very tired! lol

Replacement gearbox and a new SMF in and no issues what so ever - so clearly it was down to a tired box.

As per tuffty said - it's all down to how you drive and if you mind a bit of chatter on idle from the SMF....also worth noting that a solid flywheel will never need replacing as apposed to a dual mass flywheel.

Ok so i went with sachs DMF clutch and slave bearing. Its all in bolted back together. Now have a big problem. My clutch pedal is stuck to the floor and wont return. Help needed please guys

Tbf didn't know you could bleed the clutch.how do u do that

It's been bled so ive been told but still stays pressed to the floor :s

when my clutch went I fitted a single mass, feels so much better glad i done the research and fittied one. Hope that helps :)

Bigjohn what flywheel and clutch you running?

I have 35-40k miles on my helix single mass conversion now, but i cant wait till it slips and i can change back to a duel mass. Town driving is tedious now, and the idling chatter is starting to annoy me!