Badger5JMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

Antenna amplifier location

Please can anyone tell me exactly where the antenna aerial amplifier is located within the car (A3, 2002 reg, post face lift, 1.8)?
    I'm pretty sure it's part # 4D0035530C.

My radio signal has gone completely and I'm going to try to replace this part to get the signal back...

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    If its not built into the based on the roof (which is where it comes from factory) it will be located under the base inside the car (this was a newer design)
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks mattyboy,
    Just to make sure I understand right, you're saying that it should either be...

- within the roof
    or
    - under the bass box in the boot
    - is that right?

I've had some of the roof trim off today near the aerial and can't see it. Do you know exactly where it should be in the roof??

appreciate your help...it's this part...

AUDI S3 A3 8L Aerial Antenna Amplifier Control Diversity Module 01-03 4D0035530C | eBay

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Matty,

Just to check I understand right...you're saying that it should either be in the roof or under the bass box in the boot?

I've had some trim off the roof around the aerial today and couldn't see it - where exactly in the roof should it be?

cheers

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 Driver View Post
    Thanks Matty,

Just to check I understand right...you're saying that it should either be in the roof or under the bass box in the boot?

I've had some trim off the roof around the aerial today and couldn't see it - where exactly in the roof should it be?

cheers
    No the base of the aerial (cone shaped) on the roof (externally) is the amplifier it will be solid. If not then the amplifier will located inside the roof beneath the base. If you have rear interior lights pull the unit out & have look.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    the FM boosters are in the trim around the inside of the rear screen as they use the heated rear screen element to get more signal
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

2nd Gear

Status
    Have you recently changed the stereo? Some built in Audi stereos have a amplifier, if you have a aftermarket one it won't have this amplifier.

Reverse Gear

Status
    A quick update...
    It's a bee-sting screw-in aerial base - so the amplifier isn't externally within the base
    I've had the internal rear passenger light out and it's not internally beneath the aerial base
    I've pulled down the plastic trim that surrounds the top of the rear window internally - not there either.
    The only trim parts I haven't taken off are the plastic trims to the left and right of the rear window, that also go towards the rear passenger doors...
    It's a factory standard audi chorus radio/cassette...no AM signal at all, FM signal only in high signal strength areas - then it crackles into nothing as I drive away from the area...

Thanks for all your advice so far...keep it coming!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Mate,

I have the same problem, if you find out how to replace, could you let me know.

I've been searching internet looking for a video of how to replace aerial base, but so far no joy!

Cheers

Reverse Gear

Status
    ...Audi just quoted £91 + VAT an hour to diagnose the problem. They said if it didn't take an hour, £ would be deducted according to how long it did take. They'd then provide a full quote for what needs to be done and how much it would be to fix. hmmm...Probably looking at around £250 maybe for Audi to fix...