de-badging

starski4578

Reaction score
whats the best solution for getting rid of the glue residue the badges leave behind? i just want to remove the A3 badge. I was thinking of using dental floss to remove the badge but i just dont want a sticky mark left in its place. Any suggestions.....oh and merry xmas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Dental floss sounds like a possibility; just be very careful when getting behind the badge with anything; it wouldn't be too hard to damage the lacqeur/paintwork...

The method I used was to get a hairdryer on a low heat setting and just warm the badge and surrounding area a bit - I never let the hairdryer get any closer to the paintwork than about 6-8 inches so as not to scorch anything, and heated very gradually (in total, probaly to a lower temperature than paintwork would acheive while parked in direct sunlight on a warm day). Simply put, I was careful, extreme temperatures aren't good for bodywork finishes, and certainly quick increases in temperature in isolated areas (with wildly different temperatures adjacent).

You only need to get the badge luke-warm and it really helps move it around because the glue softens-up ever-so-slightly.

Once I'd done that, I got a peice of fishing line, and put that behind the top edge of the badge. Having pushed some thin cotton rag under the bottom edge of the badge, I just used the fishing line to lever outwards, as opposed to 'slicing' down the glue - I think that minimised the chance of me making any marks with the line. Don't use a "lever" type method with nothing under the bottom edge of the badge though, because you're equally likely to mark the lacqeur/paintwork with that!

To remove the remaining glue (there was quite a lot using the metod above); I used some diluted "sticky-stuff-remover" (available from all kinds of places, normally a paint-safe citrus based solution. Thermal Interface Material cleaner is seemingly the same stuff too) and A LOT of gentle elbow-grease.

I don't mean to fill you full of paranoia about de-badging, I've just seen it done a few different ways with different results (some nasty marks in cases), and I just like to a) consider as much as possible, and b) play "slow and steady wins the race".

I can only really vouch for my possibly over-careful method from experience, but I can safely say I removed the badges from a black A3 that had been there for about seven years without a single mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope that helps,

Rob.

Yep, the above method is the only one that works reliably, although I used white spirit to remove the sticky residue.

I then took the Porter Cable to the rear to smooth it all out, looks perfect now....

Hot water usually works well... just pour it on (may take a few applications) and pull the badges off! Don't be too afraid to pull at them, they sometimes take a bit of elbow grease, then you need to rub the adhesive off with your fingernail or a cloth... again, a bit of elbow grease works well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There was also a thread on here a while back about this very thing... do a search.

T

Thanks for all the advice, and takin the time lads, think i'll go ahead with it sometime this week.

at work we always use an air drill with a caramel wheel on the end of it comes off a treat

i found the best way to get rid of the glue is to use panelwipe you will get it at a local sprayshop or motor factor it is great for removing all those unwanted stickers on the inside of the windows too aswell as badges hope this helps

Another product good for removing glue etc is Autoglym Tar Remover - spray, leave for a min then wipe. Quick easy and designed for car use.

PS. Hey ORVIL,
good to see another Fifer on here. I'm in Glenrothes and travel to Edinburgh most days and I'm around Kirkcaldy quite a lot. If you see a demin blue S3 with Irish plate and new style RS4 alloys then thats me ! What do you drive ?

Kev

hi there i hav a nogy blue s3 225bhp got it in september and love it hav you any pics of your car?

heres one with my original wheels as I don't have one with my new wheels. The second is obviously my new wheels and I reckon they look great (and they weigh less than the originals too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) on the car but it needs lowered a little now and get the other suspension mods such as adjustable tie bars and then ARBs

my_s3_1.jpg

my_s3_rs4_1.jpg

Kev