Spitballing some ideas for my catch can fabrication, input would be appreciated

Lavis89

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The idea for the moment is basically to make a similar version to some of the more common ones on the market, i can easily fabricate up a stainless steel box or can and tig weld it up, all im stuck with really is the drain, the idea i have at the moment would be to weld a 16mm stainless nut on to the bottom of the box, then stick a small bolt through it with a o seal, would just mean i'ld have to remove it from the car to empty it every time. also the baffling, how long does the wire wool last? i should imagine i'll be able to poke some up through the drain (can make it a 24mm if worst comes to worst). I'll work out the positioning for the can after i have everything else sorted then make myself a little bracket to bolt around the firewall somewhere (similar to the post in the stickies, some people do read them :p) One last thing, what kind of volume should i be making it? i have 0 experience with these things so no idea how quick they fill up

Also when i have finished making it i'll post all the drawings up here and some step by step photos.

For the drainage, I have a pipe connected to the catch can drain that runs to the bottom of the car. It's has a small tap on it, so all I need to do is put something under the car to catch the oil when I open the tap.

For the drainage, I have a pipe connected to the catch can drain that runs to the bottom of the car. It's has a small tap on it, so all I need to do is put something under the car to catch the oil when I open the tap.

And that is exactly the reason i posted in here. definitely stealing that idea! cheers! can easily braze a cheap brass hose barb onto the bottom :D

Reactions: Scullies
I fabricated my own from ali. Used a quick release oil drain plug for drainage and woven stainless mesh to baffle as I didn't want it to melt from welding. I'll try and post s pic tomorrow

It will be VTA if it is a VTA catchcan can i do away with the baffling? Like i said, im a newbie with this kind of stuff, just trying to simplify my engine bay as much as possible at the moment before i look at taking a trip up to visit the badger so there is less stuff to go wrong!

I've heard the term but could one of you clue me up and what a

catch can is

what it does

do stock S3 (or indeed all A3's) have one?

If not do I need one?

I've heard the term but could one of you clue me up and what a

catch can is

what it does

do stock S3 (or indeed all A3's) have one?

If not do I need one?

FAQ's in the stickys dude, all you need to know is there about catch cans

FAQ's in the stickys dude, all you need to know is there about catch cans

Yeah I've seen the "how to" before and I'm not being funny but that really doesn't tell a novice like me what one is and what it does. It includes a diagram but I'm not sure what of and I don't even know what the PCV is etc

Rather than googling for all the info I thought I'd ask you folks. Might give me an idea then whether I think I need one and then I'd be looking to the "how to" more

Yeah I've seen the "how to" before and I'm not being funny but that really doesn't tell a novice like me what one is and what it does. It includes a diagram but I'm not sure what of and I don't even know what the PCV is etc

Rather than googling for all the info I thought I'd ask you folks. Might give me an idea then whether I think I need one and then I'd be looking to the "how to" more

Beginning of the how to explains the theory behind them, before going into how to.....

basically check out the threat in the stickies, there is a picture of a pipe with loads of gunk coming out of it, that stuff is in your car, does it look good for it? nope! catch can will sort that problem out.

I've been thinking of knocking one up . Going to use 80 mm stainless tube weld a disk in the bottom and thread the top . With screw on top .

that was my original idea, until i realized the only stainless tube we have in work is 5mm wall thickness, will be a bit too much of a unit! rolling one from sheet will work in the same way though, just a bit more effort!

Shame your not near me I would have cut u a length . Keep us informed and do some drawings of your ideas ..