vag com

That VCDS you linked to is not genuine and technically illegal...

<tuffty/>

what one do you guys use? and its ripped off but would it work?

Personally, wouldnt even consider writing data to a car with a clone lead. not worth the risk and the liability insurance wouldnt wanna cover it. Cant grumble too much about clone leads for reading, in theory nothing bad should happen.

where are you based though i could sort you out if your local, need a spare key while im at it?!
if you do want a cable pm NHN for a genuine one, or check rosstechs website for shareware and compatibilities.

what one do you guys use? and its ripped off but would it work?

Buy genuine or use the lite version and an eBay cable... which is different to this as the cable in this case acts as a dongle to give full functionality... Ross Tech have been keeping on top of these types of cables and can update the software to prevent it from working rendering the cable useless...

eBay leads (like the one I linked to in the stickies) allow use through VCDS lite and one registered gives full functionality

<tuffty/>

hi jus to say a local guy programmed my ecu in on the car and shes all running but shes smelling of petrol and low mpg he said this is normal and the cars not bringing up any fault codes he says it wil take a few days for the ecu to sort its self out. I work on a lot of tractors and with new ecus and maps/software the change is instant do anyone no if it takes a agu time to settle down?
thanks jay

Do you know why the ecu fried?? Did you fix the fault? my gut feeling is no and you will burn this one out too :(

according to him it was because it had been badly chipped in the past and was going to cost me 300 quid to have another programmable chip fitted the damage rpaired and then remapped back up again

If that was the case, id suggest you get an expert with those engines to have a look over it. my initial thoughts are o2 senser issues, causing over fueling and when they short they fry the ecu. If you can see evidence of a bad chip soldered in though then your probably ok, but depending on your engine mods i wouldnt want to run it like that.

either way im not sure whoever replaced it knew 100% what they were dealing with. What did he charge you out of interest?

£110 including vat to diagnose it and program the new ecu so cheap as chips as he deals with my work at 50 quid a hour I got a second had ecu for 50 quid so not to expencive a repair I would be expecting a fault code tho if it was the lambda sensor and as far a mods shes just got a forge dump valve and green cotton air filter other then I think shes bog standard

Not bad, just for future reference i would have charged you half that being an ASN member :p
Im not too clued up with the running of a petrol turbo, wouldnt know what values to log and check to make sure things are running right.

Air filters ive seen cause issues though . Get another member who knows more to look over it for you :D

she will be fine I recon tho there is a another issue lol before it died the fuel gauge was working was reading empty I new was low so chucked in a jerry can and still reading empty fault code in the instruments for open circuit he said that has nothing to do with the ecu but seems a little to coinsidental tho I did pull every fuse so I will double check that tomorrow after work

Could either be not fixed then, and the problem is still there, could be a cluster about to let go, could be bad earths under battery tray. could be a bad battery/connection. List is endless. check measuring blocks for communications to the cluster with vcds.

I think im going to have to buy myself vcds tho the guy I had out said I wouldn't be able to swap my clusters out due to not having a skc code if I do need this where can I optain it? or is it audi only
ps thanks for your help and advise

Oh wow he charged you 110 and it was an immo 2, so no SKC needed.. im so used to doing immo 3 jobs!
I can get your SKC no probs, audi will not give you it. Try looking on the VCDS user map somebody local to you may be able to investigate further if you dont wish to share your location.