42 mpg from my 1.9TDI (not PD) - normal or not?

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
it's a 2000 model/144K and coming up for a major service!

seems normal to me, try changing the air filter more regular might help a little.

I get about 48-50 out of my TDi 110. That's with a mix of urban driving (but not too heavy traffic) and motorway. Mines only done 66K miles though.

diesels shouldn't get any less economical, even with high mileage - in fact I read that diesel engines actually get more economical after 100K!

I've got the same engined A4 Avant (TDi 130, 01, 125k miles) and get 46-48mpg mainly motorway (cruising at 85mph). Can get 60+ cruising at 70mph.
I only use good diesel (Shell Plus or BP ultimate)

[ QUOTE ]
diesels shouldn't get any less economical, even with high mileage - in fact I read that diesel engines actually get more economical after 100K!

[/ QUOTE ]

They cetainly get better after 15-20K.After *very* high mileage, you might begin to lose a bit of compression, and economy/performance will go down. Probably takes more than 160K though.

[ QUOTE ]
it's a 2000 model/144K and coming up for a major service!

[/ QUOTE ]

The service will probably give you a couple of mpg more.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They cetainly get better after 15-20K.After *very* high mileage, you might begin to lose a bit of compression, and economy/performance will go down. Probably takes more than 160K though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My recently-sold 80 TDi Avant (90 bhp 1Z engine) had 213K on the clock (engine all-original) and was still returning a solid 47-48 mpg during its daily 60 mile round trip on the motorway to / from work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif