Warning Lights on Dash

does it not say in your manual??? or ring the dealers

Yeah,checked the manual and the coil symbol is for Glow Plugs.According to the manual these have something to do with the engine temperature.I was quite worried when i read this because at the end it says to take the car to a dealership asap.
I dont deal with dealerships now so i took it to my local friendly audi expert.He has told me that the problem is due to a sensor/switch for the brakes.At the moment i have no brake lights but he said that this is causing the 2 warning lights to come on.Thought this was strange but im getting it done tomorrow so ill soon find out if it works.

if the lights are not working do you not get a bulb symbol like you do on the newer A3 ???

Its not the bulbs that are away on it though mate.Its the sensor for when i press the brakes the lights should come on.This is causing the traction control light to come on due to it being linking to the ABS.Now this is what i was told today so thats why i said i thought it sounded weird.
If i get the sensor fixed and it sorts the problem then great,if not then i can see it costing mucho ££££££.
It was checked on VAGCOM and that was the only fault that came up which is why the guy thinks both lights coming on are linked to each other.

[ QUOTE ]

I dont deal with dealerships now so i took it to my local friendly audi expert.He has told me that the problem is due to a sensor/switch for the brakes.At the moment i have no brake lights but he said that this is causing the 2 warning lights to come on.Thought this was strange but im getting it done tomorrow so ill soon find out if it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. A fault with the brake light circuit can trigger the glowplug light- the ECU uses it as a fault light on a TDi.

There are 2 brake pedal switches- one triggers the ECU so that you can't rev the engine above 1200 with the brakes on (try it sometime while stationary- left-foot brake and push the throttle pedal down), the other works the lights. I thing the ECU monitors both. If it sees one work, and not the other, you get an error.

Nice one mate.Feel a bit more satisfied about what the guy said now.
He has said it will be about £50 for the sensor (fitted).That sound about right?

if its the same switch as the golfs they cost around £15/20 and take around 10/15min to fit and with a code rear and clear £50 is about right

[ QUOTE ]
if its the same switch as the golfs

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet that it is, and yes £50 fitted sounds good. They need a bit of setting up IIRC.