EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Killed Badger with Front End of S3 HELP!!!!

Hi all,

Ok so it's dark, back road, Badger runs out into road, I swerve so as to make sure I hit the little blighter....witness horrible sight of badger rolling away from vehicle in rear view mirror..

followed by loss of water, water temp climbing, limp to nearest garage to cool car down and be towed away by brother in law. STAR..

Visible damage - missing front passenger side grill, then under that looks like part of suspension arm bent??? and plastic flap on driver side hanging down,

Dark so can't really tell,

Questions.
    1. Do you think I'm covered by my insurance?
    2. What do you think is actually damaged and what do you think cost is if answer to 1. is NO!

Please help! Speak in a bit,

Kev, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_VaulterTim

Re: Killed Badger with Front End of S3 HELP!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    I swerve so as to make sure I hit the little blighter....

[/ QUOTE ]

You 'orrible git! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Just kidding... sorry to hear it but glad you're ok... shame I can't say the same for the badger really [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

You'll probably be covered by your insurance under accidental damage or something... no reason you shouldn't be... you can claim for pretty much anything, the only thing they'll be interested in is who was to blame... and since the badger and his family probably don't have insurance, this one will technically be your fault [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Damage... you'd need to get your head under there really to see what's what but if there was water loss and the temp. then climbed I think it's safe to say you've lost your coolant.

So worst case scenario is a fecked radiator or you may be lucky and the hose has just come off... fingers crossed.

Hope it's not too bad and you get it sorted soon bud...

Best wishes

Tim

1st Gear

Status

Ok good, that was about what I thought. wasn't sure if I was just shocked into stupidity! No there all the time I know!

Thanks for Best Wishes. I'll ring the insurance company in the morning.

From the passenger side wheel arch I can see one of the pullys and that is the side the plastic is down on. I guess that part is all connected.

Numptie of the highest order

Status

I'd have a good look - it's probably not that bad, I've managed to loose the lower grill twice on my S3 - there about 17 each side from memory. the plastic bits are probably just the wheel arch liner and maybe the intercooler air duct thingy. I doubt you've managed to break the suspension the wishbone is not straight on my S3 and that's how it should be - I've not managed to damage anything like that yet (that said I've been quite lucky with the things I've hit)

The water loss could be something simple like a hose that's been pulled off as well - could be a bit of badger sticking out of the radiator though which wouldn't be fun. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

I guess what I'm trying to say with all my babbling is before you call you insurance company and bu99er your no claims I'd have a really good look in the daylight.

good luck getting it sorted and let us know how you get on! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

ok cool,

hadn't really thought of no claims bonus until then.....good check in the am.

Kev

5th Gear

Status

without sounding aggressive or to inspire an argument - does this not serve you right for purposely hitting something? I try to avoid everything, especially living things like people, and animals/wildlife. I would be more sympathetic if it was a situation where you could do nothing else but hit the badger, but to swerve and get him is surely asking for trouble?

Just my opinion of course.

Rob [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Those badgers might look `small` but they`re hard little feckers and one of the only animals I would swerve to `avoid`, apart from the obvious like a horse or a cow or similar.
    Hope you get your car sorted tho!

imported_vando

I wouldn't swerve to avoid a chav!

1st Gear

Status

its called sarcasm, swerved, but not enough to miss him

imported_VaulterTim

Well I got it, hence my pokey out tongue when I called ya an 'orrible git [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think most of the others got the wrong end of the stick there...

You figured out what's wrong with the car then Kev?

Administrator

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi all,

Ok so it's dark, back road, Badger runs out into road, I swerve so as to make sure I hit the little blighter....

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.dirtybadgers.com

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Rob.

1st Gear

Status

Quick Update:

Had a really good look at it - took the undertray off etc, put water back in which came spewing back out but from where??? couldn't see.

Called the dreaded insurance company who picked it up yesterday - waiting for a report now... probably Tuesday I guess by now.

Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. Thanks for all your help, advice, fun, etc in 2005. More of the same in 2006 only richer please!

Kev.

1st Gear

Status

i hit a badger in my golf, it missed the radiator but took out the intercooler instead!
    hope it gets sorted
    on the insurance i didnt claim because it cos 750 to mend so we thought it would cost more losing no claims and claiming than to pay for the damage
    i hope that makes sense

6th Gear

Status

My mate hit a deer once, made a nice mess of his bonnet in his MK3 Golf, but not as bad as when my other mates dad hit a horse in his Audi Coupe Quattro on "The Old Glasgow Road". Still have happy thoughts of THAT red beauty!

1st Gear

Status

Ah ha....it's back tommorow...It was 1600 all up so took the hit on the insurance....300 excess looked slightly more attractive...

can't wait to have it back.

Ford Ka courtesy car not quite the same!

Senior

Status

be interesting to see what sort of quotes you get come renewal time having killed a badger [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

imported_VaulterTim

So what exactly was wrong with the car in the end? What have they replaced that cost 1600?