Bent rod

Jonesymk2

Reaction score
Any way of telling a rod might be bent without taking anything apart,recently had a ticking noise start on the engine,have used a stethoscope and can find the noise when it was on the o/s engine mount but nowhere else,I thought it may have been a tensioner or water pump so did the cambelt and its still there,been looking around the net a little bit and noticed a few people day they've had a ticking noise and turned out to be a bent rod

Use something of a known length to stick down the plug hole... set cyl 1 at TDC and measure the height of the 'stick' from the cam cover on cyl 1 and 4, repeat on cyl 2/3 by turning the crank round 180 deg... if any one cyl is a lower height then you have your answer

<tuffty/>

Ok cool cheers didn't think of that,I will have a look on my lunch break

Ok will try have a look inside the sump tonight after work,do all the 1.8t engines have the oil squirters as its an agu engine in my s3

Just had a screwdriver sat down on the pistons and number 1 is sat about 1mm lower

Just had a screwdriver sat down on the pistons and number 1 is sat about 1mm lower

...than number 4? bolt upright? 1mm is not much, if the screwdriver is not bolt upright that could account for that deviation... most I have seen are more than that..

<tuffty/>

Yeh 2,3 and 4 are pretty much spot on to each other but number 1 is slightly lower,screwdriver was a snug fit in the spark plug hole so hardly any room for a slight deviation,will check in the sump tonight if I get the time

Sounds plausible then... with the sump off you should be able to look up an d see if the rod is bent... that and finding an oil squirter in the sump :)

Good luck dude...

<tuffty/>

Sounds plausible then... with the sump off you should be able to look up an d see if the rod is bent... that and finding an oil squirter in the sump :)

Good luck dude...

<tuffty/>

Cheers will let you know what I find,hopefully it's the latter of the 2 otherwise the car might get sold for bits

Finally managed to get the sump off this afternoon and number 1 rod is bent :-( its bent 2 ways aswell so that accounts for the slightly lower piston,just new to decide what to do with it now as its been loads of grief since I bought it

Don't sell it. Fix it and make it fastaaaaarrrrrrr! You'll love it more.

Reactions: Lavis89
Don't sell it. Fix it and make it fastaaaaarrrrrrr! You'll love it more.

Trouble is I live on my own and don't really have that much spare cash each month as it is so its hard to keep having to pay money out on it even worse when something like this happens