my car problems, help needed!!

kkk

Reaction score
Not had my A3 1.8T AJQ engine code for long and not had the chance to drive it properly yet.

anyway, was out today and went round a round about on exit i put my foot down and it boosted then felt like it went flat and miss fired and i thought it was gonna die.

so i limped home not knowing whats wrong and tried not to boost it till closer to home.

Now when i boot it it gets to 3500rpm then missfires and wont go further like a limiter.

it has misfired when boosting it before but i didnt push it to see what it was doing. i replaced the plugs cause of a slight misfire with some bkr7es gapped at0.30.

iv got a forge dv and iv done a n249 delete. i also put in a brand new air mass sensor into my houseing as i had a new one from an old v5 and they had same part number.

also when i got it it never had a thermostat in it so i put one in.

i dont have any diagnostic software as i cant get a cable as i dont use paypal so im stuck on that score at the momnt.

could haveing 2 push in coil packs and 2 bolt downs have anything to do with it?

also should the idle be at 760-780 rpm?

i have other probloms as well and il post them here once i get them in an order in my head.

thanks guys.

Neil

sounds like it went into limp mode

could be coil pack problems
you really need to get it scanned for fault codes.

im hoping its the coil packs as they are odd and need replaceing anyway, it felt like it hit a wall and revs bounce like its misfireing, is that limp mode?? i didnt have it on my agu :/
then i was trying to think when my maf went before and it wouldnt rev any further than about 4k iirc.

dont fancy paying to have the car scanned so il have to wait till i can get a cable on that one.

one thing that just came back to me was it didnt do it before i replaced the thermostat, was fast as feck and seemed to loose it once it was fixed :/

thanks

Audi where doing a recall on the coil packs give them a call all they need is your reg.

didnt see your reply sorry, my coil packs are bolt down so not covered.

i replace the coil packs today and the plugs, oil and filter and coolant temp sensor as mine was origanal at 163k.

its running much better but still did this thing. its not limp mode as it did it in 2nd gear just under 4k but other times was hesetating the taking off.
iv not been able to scan it as im waiting for a cable, unless theres someone in north london that would do it for beer tokons.

this is annoying now i just spent the money on the service parts.

thanks

No offence dude but scanning the car should ALWAYS be the first port of call, it will send you in the right direction at the very least and will save a fortune on trying part after part to try and cure a problem. Have a look on the vcds section, there is a members list and will probably be someone in your area who can lend a hand

yea i know what you mean, just hoping someone would of had the same fault whilst im waiting, needed a service anyway.
thanks

right, got my cable, scanned for faults and cleared them iv done a 45 mile trip and rescanned and only code t come back is.
p1640 internal control module Eeprom intermittent fault as well, does this mean my ecu is nakod, but why would it be intermittent.
and could this cause any hesitation or intermittent boosting problems?

thanks

Unlikely to be the ecu itself, if they go wrong it would be pretty catastrophic. Whats the full code?

today i done around 200 odd miles in the car and apart from being abit worried about breaking down iv only had 1 problom which was. i stopped off for half hour got back in the car when i drove round the corner and pulled out a junction the car lost powerand the epc light came on, i havnt booted it and when i did its still hesitating.

the code for today and the only code to come up is 17743 engine torque monitor 2 control limit exceeded p1335-35-10 intermittant.

what could this be? knock sensor/ map sensor i dont know :/

i keep reading that but im not sure its not remapped i dont know as it hasnt ran properly really since i got it and was missing the thermostat had 2 odd coils and an origanal cts. does have a forge dv and the cats cut out though.
strange thing is i wasnt even giving it much throttle when it happened so boost wasnt even presant at the time

thanks for the reply

No one can actully help me :( I was hoping id have more luck here than the golf forums.

Sadly, it could be worth taking it into Audi and seeing if they've ever seen these issues before.

today i put my origanal air flow sensor back in as not every detail on the new sensor was the same.
i scanned the car and i had the eeprom fault come up on start up and mass air flow sensor signal too low. most things i read about the eeprom fault is coming back as a bad map so i may have to just find another ecu.
im going to drive the car with the afm fault and see if the problom is still there or any different to rule out the afm causeing my origanal problom as not all the numbers are the same. if its improved just with lower power il buy a new afm.

couple of other probloms i have is abs code 01276 abs pump signal outside spec, iv done the useul fuse and connecter clean with no effect.

my main concern though is my clutch. when its cold and hasnt been driven the clutch is very low with no pressure at the top and seems to be getting worst, after about 45 mins use it will just go back to normal and be fine till i dont use it for about an hour again :/
this is worrying as i dont want to lose my clutch whilst im out and get stranded. could this be air in the system? i have a 5 speed Q with the hydrolic release bearing and dont fancy the replacement. i find it strange with it being fine after a while. feel great when it gets there.

thanks for the help but generally i find forum advise better than the dealers sometimes as the forums see more faults than the dealers.