how to fit oem electric folding mirrors for a3-a4-a8

dunk

Reaction score
there are oem folding mirrors available for the a3, s3 chrome, a4, rs4 alu, a6 and a8 and its possible to retrofit these.

the controller and switch are the same for the 8L a3/s3, B5 a4/s4/rs4, and a8 models - a6 can be done as well but involves a different switch in the centre console but the same controller and connections.

the mirrors are available as foldable bases to use your existing coloured (or aftermarket chrome) shells and mirror glass, or as complete 1-piece units in the case of the s3 chrome and rs4 alu mirrors.

you need 1 controller, 1 switch with folding positon, 2 mirrors and assorted oem relay base and connectors/wires and some coloured wires to run from the mirrors back to the controller.

fitting involves taking off the door trim, unscrewing the mirror from the inside and replacing with the new motorised units.
you then need to run 3 additional wires from the mirror connectors throught the door conduits to the relay board usually under the dash where the controller is going to live, and 1 additonal wire from the new mirror switch to the new controller

alternatively you could put the controller in the door with the mirror switch cos here you have the fused +12v and 0v, 3 wires from the drivers mirror - all you would have to do is run the 3 wires from the passenger mirror through to the drivers door.

i wanted to go completely oem so ran the cables back to the relay board and used an oem relay mount and contacts, and connected the +12v and 0v to the appropriate fuse and earth point.

next: circuit diagram

Sounds good! What are the costs involved? Where do you wire up the switch to open and close the mirrors?

Yeah i have been thinking about doing this as it would be very handy or when parkin the car in town and stuff.

The only B5 A4's with them fitted was in Canada and i never thought of getting the bits off other models.

i cant attach the wiring diagram - i need to upload this to the board somewhere.

in the next post i will list all the parts and approx prices

i've just installed them on my rs4 -

took ages to get the right wiring information and it wasnt in the canadian rs4 wiring diagram though.

there may be extra colour related suffixes to these numbers - check them with audi or vagparts.

control relay - 4A0 907 440
switch - 4D0 959 565 G
this looks the same - rotary switch for left/right and pad for direction, but the rotary part has an extra turn to 6 oclock which folds the mirrors.

18pin relay base - 4A0 937 529
wires with connectors for relay base - tell you tomorrow when i pick them up!

mirrors:

check with audi or vagparts about these part numbers - its very hard to define which have the folding function::

a3 non-chrome
RHD L 8L2 858 531 EC or FC ~£140
RHD R 8L2 858 532 EC of Fc

s3 chrome
RHD L 8L2 858 499 E ~£350
RHD R 8L2 858 500 E

A4 folding base for coloured caps
RHD L 8D2 858 531G ~£140
RHD R 8D2 858 532G

RS4 alloy 1 piece
RHD L 8D2 858 499 D 1L1 ~£350
RHD R 8D2 858 500 D 1L1

A6 folding base
RHD L 4B2 858 531 3FZ ~£155
RHD R 4B2858 532 3FZ

cant find any shiny ones for the a6 or rs6 in folding...

should say - the relay is the same for a3/4/6/8

the switch is for a3/4/8 - a6 uses a different switch in the centre console

Are those prices per unit dunk? Or for a pair? Call me cynical but I'm fairly certain they're 'each' yes!?

they are each prices - you can get a good discount by going to vagparts rather than the dealer though

Cool i may look into doing this is the new year.

Could you post a pic of what the switch looks like, and post a pic of your RS4 while your at it if you wish.

As i dont think i have seen it.

posting pics is the problem here - i cant post the ciruit diagram or pics - where do i stick them?

Is the gallery functioning at present?

If not, feel free to e-mail any images you need hosting to me (address in profile) and I'll post them up for you...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> Or if you have ELSA / ETKA page references we can probably remove another stage...

ok lets try picture hosting

here is the circuit diagram for adding the oem mirrors

audi are vague about the wire colours to say the least but the pin numbers for the connectors are correct despite the wonky colours..

mirrors.jpg

the box at the bottom is looking at the relay socket - the pin numbers are identified as well as the labels on the actual relay pins that are moulded into the base.

my relay had 15, 31, se etc on it

as a reminder, the black stuff is existing non-folding but electrically adjustable,

the red stuff is new contacts on the folding mirrors, new switch contacts and new wiring that you need to add.

actually it doesnt take much, apart from running the cables through the door flexible conduits.

i undid one of the existing connectors that run through the door (they all have a plug at the bottom of the door pillar) - attached a string and pulled the wire back into the door through the rubber. i then tied on another string at the door end and pulled the existing connector back to the bottom of the pillar using the first string. i then had a free string running through the door conduit rubber. i attached new cables and a new string and pulled these through - i now have my new cables in place and a spare string running through the conduit in case i ever want to run in some more stuff....

on my mirrors, the wires to the motor are the pink and blue ones and the yellow is the position sensor, but the pin numbers are correct - 5 and 6 being the motor and 1 being the sensor.

i tested this on the bench before fitting just in case...

never believe an audi wiring diagram...

correction for the a3 non-chrome folding base numbers:

RHD L 8L2 858 531 AA
RHD R 8L2 858 532 AA

LHD L 8L2 858 531 DA
LHD R 8L2 858 532 DA

these are all the larger 175x100 mirrors

there are also smaller mirrors and specific mirrors for the 4 door models...

wires with connectors - each wire has 2 connectors so cut in half and solder an extension on to connect to the destination.

1 x A000 979 114 - this is the largest connector that also holds the relay in the base
2 x A000 979 135 - you need 3 connectors so 2 wires, 2 spares. these are for the other large blades on the relay
1x A000 979 133 - this is the small blade that goes to the switch - only 1 connector needed

we need pics of the mirrors open and closed.

Does seem quite expensive at moment though.

Nice info.

I have one folding mirror that I picked up from ebay sometime ago but did not look in to this anymore with all I have going on but I got mine for like £20 or something.

I have collated all the info to make one write-up in a word document with all current pic's to make it easier if anybody wants or I will post it up here.

Has anyone got pics of the actual mirrors on the car?

I just dug this up, rather than starting a new thread.

Has anyone else managed to do this mod on their A / S3?

Cheers,

ICE

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that :rolleyes:

What about the "flash" factor? I'm suprised more people haven't tried this mod.

ICE

I've done this mod on my S3 8L & also done/doing these things on newer cars.

Been there and done this on my A4, work well, just don't be tempted by the Lucas mirror copies, they dont last very long due to plastic gearing

OK, so came across this having looked for retrofitting bluetooth, but interesting thread all the same, even though it has been bumped numerous times!

So, answers to the above at all?? Anyone fitted the folding mirrors to their 8L S3?

Many thanks,

JD

It has been done, i've seen it, but don't know who, it was an S3 for sale a couple of years ago.

So it is possible!

NHN or something mentioned he had done it, so have PM'd him.

Any further additions people have to add? Audi couldn't find the main part numbers, only the switches!