• 2 Post By Paradox1
  • 1 Post By kwistof
  • 1 Post By vroomtshh
  • 1 Post By VAG-Slag

Thread: Intercooler below crash bar

3rd Gear

Status

Intercooler below crash bar

Seen a few pictures on the 'sticky intercooler thread' of smaller front mounts that fit underneath the crash bar, thus avoiding having to cut it like the AH and welly cooler.

Toyosport seem to have some reasonably priced ones. Anyone with one of these logged their intake temps? Or know how much power they are good for?

This is what I'm on about: (sorry if I have nicked your picture)

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    too small for an S3...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    too small for an S3...

<tuffty/>
    So it's cut crash bar or nothing then?!

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Uhhuh.

ALL of us manly K03 boys run one of these beasts. Not suitable for a K04 though.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I don't get why peeps are so hung up on cutting it tbh...

If you want an intercooler that works then yeah cutting the crash bar will give you the room for a decent sized core... AH fabs V1, V2 and Welly cooler are all tried and tested S3 solutions... they just work..

The smaller one you have pictured appears to work ok on A3's with smaller K03's

<tuffty/>
    ReDBull likes this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Grale1 on Facebook
    Sorry to crash the thread, I'm looking at getting a fmic also, would the small core one from eBay be fine for what im after? I would only be fitting a k03 's' in time. Also where can you get the 2.5" pipe work
    A3 1.8t AGU, fk ak street coilovers, silicone tip, silicone turbo outlet pipe, forge 007p ( yellow spring ), 80mm jetex cone filter, 3" cold air feed, 3" downpipe and de cat, R-tech stage1 map 187bhp- 227ft

3rd Gear

Status
    I don't get why peeps are so hung up on cutting it tbh...

<tuffty/>
    Was nearly killed in a head on car crash many years ago (as a passenger) which was not much fun, so anything that weakens impact protection makes me nervous!

But looks as though its the only way then to get a decent cooler.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    The bumper bar offers no more crash protection than the old style metal bumper on a Mk1 golf... they are there to give substance to the styled/moulded modern bumper cars have these days...

Can understand your reasoning and can't imagine what that must ave been like for you but in a situation like that the alloy 'crash' bar will provide nothing.. its designed to shrug off 'parking' bumps and thats about it...

<tuffty/>
    sssline and JudderMan like this.

3rd Gear

Status
    The bumper bar offers no more crash protection than the old style metal bumper on a Mk1 golf... they are there to give substance to the styled/moulded modern bumper cars have these days...

Can understand your reasoning and can't imagine what that must ave been like for you but in a situation like that the alloy 'crash' bar will provide nothing.. its designed to shrug off 'parking' bumps and thats about it...

<tuffty/>
    Many thanks tuffty, put my mind at ease, welly cooler is looking favourite now then
    JudderMan likes this.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

2.5" piping isn't a necessity.

Mine is 2.25".

Then never do them.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I honestly think the front end of my car is stronger now it has a huge FMIC behind the puny so called "crash bar".

Anyway, in my thread I have pics of when I tried running a FMIC similar to the size above alongside one of the stock smic and it just wasn't up to the job. Changed to the Welly core and now all is well in the world.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    The crash bar is designed to crumple anyhow. That tank of an fmic we have will act as extra bracing to an extent..
    its either mapped or broken...

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow vivalacoulter On Twitter Add vivalacoulter on Facebook Visit vivalacoulter's Instagram Channel
    Sorry for being completely naive but can someone point me toward where I can purchase a wellycooler? Or even which cooler on the AH site is the V2? I can only seem to find the V1...

Just looking around for my future Stage 2 mods.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm running a toyosports 550x225x64 Type R on mine. According to most of the people on here, who are in the know, its too small, yet my car has made 294bhp (ok its obviously a happy dyno), on stage 2, and I've never seen intake temps at more that 10deg above ambient.

Generally, when on boost and giving it some, i'm seeing 6-7deg above ambient. I've not taken it on track yet, and its hard to really drive hard for sustained periods on the road, but I've done 25 miles or so, really ragging it, and when on the move, never managed to get intake temps any higher than mentioned.

The reason I went for that cooler was more for fitment reasons rather than avoiding cutting the crash bar, but now that I've seen it fitted, it pretty much fills the lower bumper centre grill, so anything bigger will be getting no more airflow over it

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vivalacoulter View Post
    Sorry for being completely naive but can someone point me toward where I can purchase a wellycooler? Or even which cooler on the AH site is the V2? I can only seem to find the V1...

Just looking around for my future Stage 2 mods.

Welly is a forum member who designed an fmic to fit and work. Its a universal cooler i believe. Look in the stickys bud. The ah is a different brand all together. Think they are better flowing for bigger turbo set ups.

6th Gear

Status
    Ok just to let you know,i had a wellycooler on.my golf when I crashed.when u went to get my parts of it.they guy at the recovery places said that massive cooler probably saved your life as it took the impact of the crash.:...just saying!
    kwistof and JudderMan like this.
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow vivalacoulter On Twitter Add vivalacoulter on Facebook Visit vivalacoulter's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by daz-20vt View Post
    Welly is a forum member who designed an fmic to fit and work. Its a universal cooler i believe. Look in the stickys bud. The ah is a different brand all together. Think they are better flowing for bigger turbo set ups.
    Okay, now I'm sure I'm being blind, can't find the wellycooler in the stickies! Or is it somewhere in the large thread on the AH Fab ones?

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Ok just to let you know,i had a wellycooler on.my golf when I crashed.when u went to get my parts of it.they guy at the recovery places said that massive cooler probably saved your life as it took the impact of the crash.:...just saying!
    Some mods I find hard to justify before I make payment and get them fitted....but I love this justification on why to fit a FMIC lol

I'll remember this when I'm buying the bits and pieces I need in the next few months
    JudderMan likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

5th Gear

Status
    I would read the fmic sticky but try searching wellycooler as it may have been a thread now i think about it. Its defo about somewhere. Daz

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS3 View Post
    Seen a few pictures on the 'sticky intercooler thread' of smaller front mounts that fit underneath the crash bar, thus avoiding having to cut it like the AH and welly cooler.

Toyosport seem to have some reasonably priced ones. Anyone with one of these logged their intake temps? Or know how much power they are good for?

This is what I'm on about: (sorry if I have nicked your picture)

image.jpg
    There's one on the VAG Parts / Cars for sale Facebook page if you're looking to buy one - he will only accept cash on collection though - doesn't wanna post. AH Fabs V1 with all piping £150 - I wanted to but it was cost me that in fuel to drive there, iirc I think it Norfolk? Ill try and find the link..,.

2nd Gear

Status
    Alex Ayers his name was.. From Lowestoft - so if you're not that far away from there it's a bargain :-)

RIP S3dave

Status
    Was nearly killed in a head on car crash many years ago (as a passenger) which was not much fun, so anything that weakens impact protection makes me nervous!

But looks as though its the only way then to get a decent cooler.
    and behind the trimmed crash bar is..... oh dont tell me... erm... Oh I know.. a 76mm Thick aluminium, deformable intercooler...
    you think an aluminium crash bar has strength?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    and behind the trimmed crash bar is..... oh dont tell me... erm... Oh I know.. a 76mm Thick aluminium, deformable intercooler...
    you think an aluminium crash bar has strength?
    See your point.

So a front mount is an essential safety upgrade... lol

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post

Mine is 2.25".
    it is on an S3. and neither your hotside, or your cold side pipes are 2.25''.

Stop giving bad advice
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Read the thread.

I had previously confirmed this kit is only suitable for K03 cars, and my response was to grail who was the only person quoting 2.5" sizing.

Pal.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    There really aren't any draw backs to the Wellycooler if you want a FMIC. There excellent VFM, good fun to fit and work very well. Why look for an alternative?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDBull View Post
    There really aren't any draw backs to the Wellycooler if you want a FMIC. There excellent VFM, good fun to fit and work very well. Why look for an alternative?
    i did it just to be different

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vroomtshh View Post
    i did it just to be different
    Are you on SCN? Black LCR with sexy wheels?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDBull View Post
    Are you on SCN? Black LCR with sexy wheels?
    nah that's my mate John. I have the silver one with sexy wheels
    ReDBull likes this.

3rd Gear

Status

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Thats the one.
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

RIP S3dave

Status
    See your point.

So a front mount is an essential safety upgrade... lol
    yea man
    consider it 76mm finned crumple zone.
    hehe
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Vex182 View Post
    Thats the one.
    Is the piping then the same as the AH Fab intercooler?

EDIT:

Found this, not to worry!

'Wellycooler' fitting

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Its Voids that save you in crashes not pieces of metal..

They called him mellow yellow.

Status
    The most important function of the crash bar is to provide a crumple zone to protect the chassis legs, as already said when a large aluminium cooler is installed trimming of the bar really isn't an issue although any major cutting of this crash bar may reduce its ability to protect your chassis legs in an impact, while none of us ever intend to crash its worth consideration.
    Its good practice to avoid cutting any crash bar where possible but knowing the issues on big power S3 builds little other options are realistically available, if safety was truly in question I wouldn't but as only the condition of the chassis legs in the event of an impact is in question IMO bash on..

Ewan.
    210hp 8L S3 quattro.

2nd Gear

Status
    Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect

Mine is 2.25".
    ALL of us manly K03 boys run one of these beasts.

Speak for your self:

16Klappe likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    The crash bar is also a structural piece of the car that connects the chassis legs and stiffens the chassis. What else substantial is there connecting the chassis legs if the bumper is cut. In a low speed shunt the bar would probably deform a little and save the rad, standard intercooler , and air con rad meaning the car could still be driven.
    Without it its liable your intercooler will be pushed through the rads at the front of the car.
    People are quite happy to add strut braces to increase stiffness but whats the point if you are removing something like the front bumper.
    I personally wouldn't cut the bumper bar or remove parts of it, but each to their own.

Karl.
    Karls 312bhp A4 3.0 TDI build thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4...ld-thread.html