A3 Turbo noise

JB_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
I've recently bought a 1999 A3 Turbo- so a bit new to it all!!. Usually you can hear the turbo winding up at about 2,000rpm. On some days it's more noticible than others, this morning I couldn't really hear it- no noticible loss of power though, could it just be that it is quite and depending on differences in road noise you might not always hear it? I would imagine if it wasn't working I would really notice a difference?

Jon.

You are most likely to hear the noise in streets where the sound can bounce back, or the window open on a smooth surface.

Before my car was remapped I found it hard pushed to hear the turbo at any time.

If its not down on power, then I wouldn't worry.

Thanks, Me probably being ignorrant but why is the turbo now louder after a remap?

Even with the windows up you could normally hear it whisling.

I'll keep an eye on it though- I have 1 1/2 months left on the warranty cover (came with the car when I bought it)- this covers stuff like the turbo just in case!

Whistles more after the remap because it now spins faster whilst pushing more air.

Think of a normal house fan. The faster you run it the louder it gets.

Interestingly, you can hear the turbo a little more on my 2001 AUM egined golf. I put this down to it having the later revised turbo fitted.

As long as the sound isn't a hissing like when you let a car tyre down or a grinding, then it'll be fine.

thanks for your help!

No hissing or grinding yet- touch wood!!

On my Golf mkIV 1.8T the turbo was much louder compared to my S3 (and presumably A3).

Since the remap the turbo is louder - I love it.

If you can't hear it at all there might be a problem. But if the turbo wasn't working you would know because it the lack of power would be very noticeable.

Was the road wet? If so the extra noise from your wheels on the road sometimes is just enough to mask the noise compared to a dry road!!

The roads have been bit greasy and wet so this may be a factor in masking the turbo noise. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Should the turbo spin up even if the car is stationary e.g if I rev it up on the drive to 2000rpm+ should I hear the turbo spin up?

You should not hear it that much by revving it....especially only to 2k rpm rev it to about 4.5 - 5k and you should be able to hear it, it's more noticible under load ie when you are driving it.

I also noticed that a golf GTI turbo (150) has a much louder turbo noise than the S3 not that i m bothered i know what i would rather have, just thought i would mention it. I find with the windows closed radio & climate off you can hear the hear the re-circulation & waste gate release when releasing the throttle.

I would of thought if theres a possible problem with the turbo a RR will verify this. Probably cheaper than getting an Audi dealer to look over it.

Drove it home tonight, turbo whistle was there- it is fairly quiet but the power has definitely not been lost (overtaking was nice and easy ;-) )

Sorry what do you mean by "an RR will verify this"?

Thanks.

Rolling Road... you'll get a readout of performance (Power & Torque) which can indicate any potential problems when read correctly.

Out of interest, what colour is your car?

Just wondered, as I sold my 99 1.8T about 3 months ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif