Anything similar to an Andy Mac stealth sub on the market?

vivalacoulter

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if there are any alternatives similar to what the late Andy Mac managed to create that I could purchase?

The stock Bose system is very good, but as a friend of mine put it, the lack of deeper bass does leave you wanting slightly.

Obviously I'm not asking for a copy of the original Stealth Sub, but something compact to fit in the arch lining as Andy's did.

I would imagine, given the success of the andymac sub, once things settle down for his family, the plans may be sold on or dealt with by another family member in due course.

It would be a shame for that to not happen, but not knowing him or his family personally i wouldnt like to guess or ask the intentions.

i was wondering the same thing. i hope they continue it, was a brilliant design, shame i never managed to pick one up.

I would imagine, given the success of the andymac sub, once things settle down for his family, the plans may be sold on or dealt with by another family member in due course.

It would be a shame for that to not happen, but not knowing him or his family personally i wouldnt like to guess or ask the intentions.

I doubt very much another family member will get involved. Andy was very passionate and hand built each individual enclosure himself!

I have one in my car, with a custom wiring harness made by him too and full installation instruction for the sub on paper he supplied me.

Very sad news indeed. I did also miss out on the AMS. Google and also came with up with the same enclosure tuffty posted. I'm worried about getting that one with the sub on the side as its so close to the panel sound will distort and rattle?

Yeah that's a possibility, but I also can't tell if there's space for the CD changer...

I got rid of mine...
the thing is and macs subs was special. So much effort and thought has gone into the design. He made the enclosure as big as possible to increase delivery of sound, whereas this eBay one is probably the same size as the OE box.

Think the eBay jobby fits an " bigger speaker as well if I'm right? Wasn't the AMS 7"?

I was looking at building one using the box, but buy the item I'd costed it up it was cheaper just to buy a 10" active sub and secure it down in the boot with a travel strap. Obviously you lose the OE look... But £50 compared to box £40, JL speaker £100+, wiring £15, decent 4 channel amp £80+

I'd rather have an AMS any day obviously.. As the quality is there.. But with the other box I seriously think you wouldn't get the volume you needed out of the £40 box, doesn't look deep enough.

Think the eBay jobby fits an " bigger speaker as well if I'm right? Wasn't the AMS 7"?

I was looking at building one using the box, but buy the item I'd costed it up it was cheaper just to buy a 10" active sub and secure it down in the boot with a travel strap. Obviously you lose the OE look... But £50 compared to box £40, JL speaker £100+, wiring £15, decent 4 channel amp £80+

I'd rather have an AMS any day obviously.. As the quality is there.. But with the other box I seriously think you wouldn't get the volume you needed out of the £40 box, doesn't look deep enough.

Yeah I think I'd rather hold out. That or cut up a boot sub I already have and try to make it as oem as possible for a corner of the boot. The oem one really does let the system down.

I bought an amss! Still to fit it but out of respect for Andy, I wanna do things properly, new speakers, amp, stereo, sound deadening.. Etc. that's the way I'm sure he'd want it to sound!

heres mine to keep is standard looking, also cost nothing to make which is a bonus

amp is now behind the rear door card, also using a high to low converter to keep the standard HU

heres mine to keep is standard looking, also cost nothing to make which is a bonus

amp is now behind the rear door card, also using a high to low converter to keep the standard HU

That's a really nice build! I'll have to look into changing amps and setting up a sub. Currently a complete novice.

Sorry if this has been gone over before, but why did Andy stop making them? I was really interested in getting one, but seeing as I had a 10" square kicker already going spare, I opted for a take-up-the-boot box option. The AMS ones looked really well thought out...

I suggest you read the first post in this thread and take note of the word "late".

Sh*t, just skim read it before. Thats a real shame. Apologies for sounding like a benny. I bought some MDF speaker mounts from him last year and he was really helpful about mounting/speaker questions. Sorry to belatedly hear the news...