Removing the passenger airbag on a S3

firestorm

Reaction score
I followed the instructions in the manual on how to remove the glovebox, which went quite smoothly. I also removed the T25 and T30 torx bolts holding the brackets on to the dashboard frame.

Now I'm stuck, the airbag unit is loose, but I can't see how to get the thing out. Can't make head or tails of the instructions on how to remove the airbag cover, which I presume needs to come out, which expose a further 4 torx screws.

So does anyone know how the cover comes off?

Cheers

Reactions: Imhotep
I've removed the yellow clip which is attached to a strap made of seatbelt webbing and undone the bolts indicated in the manual, it just rattles around with no obvious way of removing it.

Any one ?

I've got a replacement airbag on the way - how doe the old one come out ?

I'm sure one or more of you guys have done it before, either to replace it or junk it for track use.

Any one taken their airbag out of a 8L S3?
Would really apprciate some pointers on how to get the thing t.

Still haven't worked out how it's supposed to come out.

Any one who has removed theirs give me a hint or two ?
Please ?

The cover only comes off once you get the airbag out AFAIK.

Presumably you need to remove all the metal framework that the bag attaches to. I've only ever done it on an A4, but theres big brackets up either side that need to come out before the airbag will come out.

Thanks for that Aragorn, it was starting to get a bit echoey here.

I was trying to avoid too much of the dash substructure, but it needs to be done.

I have no ideas either, plus the sad part is I have to get the same job done sooner or later. My diagnostics guy told me, it shouldn't be hard theoretically and should come out pretty easily after unscrewing all the screws there, but he hasn't done it in practice so he was just guessing. I got the infamous "resistance too high" code and cutting out the plug and connecting wires together straight didn't help either. So yeah I'll be needing to replace my passenger side airbag sooner or later.

Sad thing in my story is, that finding an affordable replacement in this country is like searching a needle in the haystack. And ordering from ebay will probably cost me major cash. Anyway after replacing the airbag control unit (last one stopped working) and now having to replace my passenger airbag, I'm seriously getting fed up with the airbag system. Can't wait till the driver side starts giving me errors next....luckily that's the only airbag I got left to give me headaches.

I definitely feel your pain bro!